First... No. This entry is not from the perspective of my cat Spike. (see what I mean)
Today was atypical because I am home on a work day and I am not sick. I just had to be here to meet a bunch of folks that need to come fix things in the new house. Everybody offers you a four hour window, but they only have times Mon-Fri. I am sorry, but I really REALLY think folks in the service business like this should work on weekends. Don't like it? Get a better... er... different job.
The painter that dropped by today was very funny. He was a 21 (guessing) year old Hispanic guy. The whole time he was hear he just kept calling me boss. "Hey boss. Mind if go grab something from my truck. Hey boss. There is somebody at the door for you." Made me feel all important. Also gave me Shawshank flashbacks. He was super nice and did an outstanding job. A short time after he left I couldn't even figure out where he had painted. Blended perfectly.
When you move there are things that you need to figure out that you never really think about ahead of time. Where is the best gas station? Where can I go buy something cheap, fast, and relatively healthy to eat at 10pm. Where are the grocery stores? The one I had to figure out today was "Where the f*&% is a dry cleaner?" This being a relatively new area with businesses opening up almost daily I don't trust Yahoo/Google maps yet. I set out looking and hopefully found a good one. While I was dropping off my clothes, the owner (?) was ringing me up while holding her infant. This infant decided it was a good time to throw up when my clothes were on the counter. Not toooooo much hit them, but... ew. I guess if a baby is going to use your shirt for target practice, this was about the best place for it to happen. It made me laugh out loud which is always good.
I also took the opportunity to make a not-on-a-weekend trip to Sams. I will refrain from making a "Soccer Mom" reference here for a fear of offending people. Let us just say that I was not the norm type of person there. ;-) At least the lines were shorter than normal.
I had the second of what I think is going to be three landscaping estimates today. I really liked the guy who was here. He went out of his way to let me know his company would be flexible with anything I wanted to do. He was here last weekend to measure. This was his giving me the proposals. One came in at a little over 9k. The second around 8.5k. Still expensive, but cheaper than the 11.5k estimate from two weeks ago. One more estimate this Sunday... Then decision time.
My day started winding down about the time I burned my arm on the oven door while making stuffed salmon for dinner. Using a double oven (the top one) is going to take some getting used to. Ouch... still!
My last task before writing this was to update my playlist on the Nano. For your amusement, here are some of the artists I downloaded: Gnarls Barkley, Weird Al, Evanescense, Snow Patrol, Death Cab for Cutie, The Fray, Justin Timberlake (shut up), Steely Dan, and KT Tunstall.
Ok... Time for bed. G'night all!
--C
Today was atypical because I am home on a work day and I am not sick. I just had to be here to meet a bunch of folks that need to come fix things in the new house. Everybody offers you a four hour window, but they only have times Mon-Fri. I am sorry, but I really REALLY think folks in the service business like this should work on weekends. Don't like it? Get a better... er... different job.
The painter that dropped by today was very funny. He was a 21 (guessing) year old Hispanic guy. The whole time he was hear he just kept calling me boss. "Hey boss. Mind if go grab something from my truck. Hey boss. There is somebody at the door for you." Made me feel all important. Also gave me Shawshank flashbacks. He was super nice and did an outstanding job. A short time after he left I couldn't even figure out where he had painted. Blended perfectly.
When you move there are things that you need to figure out that you never really think about ahead of time. Where is the best gas station? Where can I go buy something cheap, fast, and relatively healthy to eat at 10pm. Where are the grocery stores? The one I had to figure out today was "Where the f*&% is a dry cleaner?" This being a relatively new area with businesses opening up almost daily I don't trust Yahoo/Google maps yet. I set out looking and hopefully found a good one. While I was dropping off my clothes, the owner (?) was ringing me up while holding her infant. This infant decided it was a good time to throw up when my clothes were on the counter. Not toooooo much hit them, but... ew. I guess if a baby is going to use your shirt for target practice, this was about the best place for it to happen. It made me laugh out loud which is always good.
I also took the opportunity to make a not-on-a-weekend trip to Sams. I will refrain from making a "Soccer Mom" reference here for a fear of offending people. Let us just say that I was not the norm type of person there. ;-) At least the lines were shorter than normal.
I had the second of what I think is going to be three landscaping estimates today. I really liked the guy who was here. He went out of his way to let me know his company would be flexible with anything I wanted to do. He was here last weekend to measure. This was his giving me the proposals. One came in at a little over 9k. The second around 8.5k. Still expensive, but cheaper than the 11.5k estimate from two weeks ago. One more estimate this Sunday... Then decision time.
My day started winding down about the time I burned my arm on the oven door while making stuffed salmon for dinner. Using a double oven (the top one) is going to take some getting used to. Ouch... still!
My last task before writing this was to update my playlist on the Nano. For your amusement, here are some of the artists I downloaded: Gnarls Barkley, Weird Al, Evanescense, Snow Patrol, Death Cab for Cutie, The Fray, Justin Timberlake (shut up), Steely Dan, and KT Tunstall.
Ok... Time for bed. G'night all!
--C
Comments