Hawaii 2015: Lava Tube

Kona... Kona has volcanoes.  While in Kona, we HAD to go see a volcano.  When I was a kid, I used to have the occasional nightmare that the floor was hot lava.  Now my kids play that game and I am pretty sure they do it to mock me.

While overcoming my fear of magma, Monika made me walk through a lava tube.  I was 110% confident hot lava was going to come rushing in from both sides of the tunnel and my childhood fears would be realized.  Of course I was wrong... Here are the lava tube photos.

Chris in a forest... about to be swallowed by hot lava.

Entering the lava tube, I kept wondering... "Is it too late to turn back?"

I was confident hot lava would be around the corner.

Survivor!


Hi Monika!  (I'll just be up here away from all the hot lava I am sure is trying to get me.)

Fools!  There is hot lava somewhere around here!

Monika at the entrance to the tunnel.  (I can't see into the tunnel... Pretty sure there is hot lava in there.)

Silly


See that tunnel?  Hot lava made that.  That means hot lava was here.  That means it COULD be here again... soon probably.

Dear lord... the exit!  I survived!



Comments