Dearest Angela,
Today you turn five years old and I can’t help but wonder
how that happened so fast.
Simultaneously it feels like we brought you home from the hospital
yesterday and I can’t remember a time without your smiling face in my
life. Every day you bring more joy to
your mother and me than we deserve.
Thank you for being you. You are
awesome!
As I write these posts every year, I can’t help but think
that you most likely will never have a chance to read them. In 20-30 years, will my blog (that I almost
never update) still be on the internet?
But then… a few weeks ago I was packing up some boxes and found a
printed journal my father had written about his last trip to San Diego with
your grandmother. I had seen it before,
but so enjoyed reading it again with my Dad’s voice acting as the narration in
my head. As I read the journal, I
couldn’t help but think that you might have the same happy feeling reading my
musings someday. I hope you do.
Just after you turned four last year, we threw you a big
curveball and switched the school that you go to. I was fortunate enough to land a great job
with the Las Vegas Valley Water District and one of the benefits they offer is
onsite child care. You were sad to leave
some of your friends, but excited to go to the new school where daddy
works. From the first day, you loved it
there. Over the past year, you have
grown and learned under the direction of Matt (the school director) and all the
teachers. You started and completed
pre-k with flying colors. The teachers
love you and at least once a week, another parent tracks me down to tell me how
adorable you are. You show affection
openly and your happy nature is infectious.
People smile when they think of you and love it when you run up and hug
them. Don’t ever lose this part of who
you are. Just be who you are and you
will always have people who care about you.
You continue to get smarter than I am comfortable with. When you were younger, I could easily
redirect your attention without a problem.
You are too smart for that now.
Even when I deftly change the subject, you come right back to discuss
what you wanted. You use logic to make
your points and I have trouble saying no when you work out the details of your
case so clearly. I am fearful that in a
year or two I will end up buying you a pony because you convince me it is a
good idea. Fortunately your mother is
stronger than I in that area.
One of the biggest changes I have seen this year is how you
are learning to be a great big sister.
Jon Connor is growing up and you love him. When he cries, you are the first to try to
help him be ok. You willingly give him
your blanket. You find his binky. You share your toys (sometimes). Of course you two fight… you are brother and
sister… but when he is upset you try to make it better. Sometimes Mom and I get quiet when this
happens; not because we are upset, but because we are fighting back tears. When you get home and he is there, he hugs
you first. You are a great big sister.
One of your new habits is coming to our room after we have
put you to bed. Most of the time you
have an excuse like blowing your nose or going to the bathroom… But it is
obvious you just want to say goodnight one more time. Before you leave, you always give Mom and me
a big hug and kiss before heading off to bed.
It is my favorite part of the day.
We so look forward to watching you grow up even if it is
tinged with a sadness that we are losing our little girl. You are going to be a great young woman and
we are just incredibly fortunate to be your parents and to get to watch it
happen.
We love you Angela and hope you have a very happy birthday!
Love,
Mom and Dad
Comments