Bonding...

It's amazing what a couple days off from work can do for your relationship with your kids.

For several years, Angela has been a Daddy's girl... Probably because she has me wrapped around her finger.  One hug, a kiss on my cheek, and a smile and I am willing to move heaven and earth for her.  With Jon Connor it has been a little different.  I attribute part of it to the fact that we are blessed enough to have an AWESOME nanny.  She helps us more than words can express, but at the same time I haven't had the same opportunity to bond with Jon Connor.  I don't do bath time with them and rarely do I change a diaper.  (Note:  I am not complaining about the diaper thing)  When Monika and I just had Angela, I wouldn't say we were equal partners in the childcare department, but I had a much more active role.  All that being said, Jon Connor and I are close, but could be closer.

With the holidays rolling around and my getting some much overdue time off from work has meant more time together as a family... Time I didn't realize I needed until today.  Over the past couple days, Jon Connor and I have spent much more time together and the result has been profound.  When Monika leaves the house (or just the room), Jon Connor generally cries because he doesn't want to see her go.  When I would leave, he would wave and say "BYE!!!!!"  Today for the first time he started to cry when I left.  It never bothered me that he didn't cry when I left, but now I think it did.

When Jon Connor is upset, he generally runs to Monika with his arms up and tears rolling down his face.  Today he ran past her and straight at me for some attention.  I think my heart grew three sizes when that happened.  Amazing feeling as a father... best Christmas gift ever.


Comments