I am a little over a year out from switching from an iPhone 4S to a Galaxy S4. Read on if you are curious about my experience, but the short version is that plan to upgrade to the iPhone 6 at my first opportunity.
That being said, I don't regret my decision at all. Having been an iPhone guy since they came out I was a little bored with the UI and the Galaxy offered something different and had some features I thought were important. A few of the features that lured me away from the iPhone were: Bigger screen, expandable memory, replaceable battery, air gestures, reading mode, and multi-window. The only items that turned out to be worth the switch were bigger screen and expandable memory. The rest of the items quickly became unimportant the second week I had my phone.
Why am I switching back? While I may have been a bit bored with IOS, it "just worked" all the time. I am not saying you can't do the same tasks on the Galaxy, but on the iPhone I found the UI to be simple, elegant, and you just instinctively know how to do what you want to do. The android OS isn't nearly as easy to figure out. I had to do quite a bit of internet searching to figure out how to perform some basic operations. At first I thought it might just be because I was used to the Apple way of doing things... but having the phone for 14 months now... I am comfortable saying it isn't as easy to use as an iPhone.
Battery life... it is AWFUL. I CONSTANTLY run in power saving mode and I feel like I have to have my phone plugged in all day. There is a reason you can exchange the battery... you pretty much have to unless you want to be tethered to the wall. I have heard about iPhone 5s battery problems, but I never had issues with my iPhones.
Another item that really intrigued me when moving to the Android device was the ability to customize my UI. I did go down that road a few times, but always ended switching back to the stock OS after a few days. Another feature I don't care about apparently.
One thing people said to me when switching to Android was that the phone would slow down dramatically after the first couple months. With that in mind, I really kept my eye on the snappiness of the UI and primary programs. I never noticed any slowdown... It may happen to others, but fortunately I never had that problem.
As for Apple is good, Google is evil... or the opposite depending on your viewpoint... I don't care. Generally I think I "like" Apple a bit more, but maybe I am just being swayed by the marketing and brand. Would my loyalty to either company sway my decision? No...
As long as Apple increases their screen size (as anticipated), I look forward to coming home in a couple months. In this case, size matters (screen size). Heck... I am even considering a Mac as my next computer although, I will have to work out financing for the one I really want.
That being said, I don't regret my decision at all. Having been an iPhone guy since they came out I was a little bored with the UI and the Galaxy offered something different and had some features I thought were important. A few of the features that lured me away from the iPhone were: Bigger screen, expandable memory, replaceable battery, air gestures, reading mode, and multi-window. The only items that turned out to be worth the switch were bigger screen and expandable memory. The rest of the items quickly became unimportant the second week I had my phone.
Why am I switching back? While I may have been a bit bored with IOS, it "just worked" all the time. I am not saying you can't do the same tasks on the Galaxy, but on the iPhone I found the UI to be simple, elegant, and you just instinctively know how to do what you want to do. The android OS isn't nearly as easy to figure out. I had to do quite a bit of internet searching to figure out how to perform some basic operations. At first I thought it might just be because I was used to the Apple way of doing things... but having the phone for 14 months now... I am comfortable saying it isn't as easy to use as an iPhone.
Battery life... it is AWFUL. I CONSTANTLY run in power saving mode and I feel like I have to have my phone plugged in all day. There is a reason you can exchange the battery... you pretty much have to unless you want to be tethered to the wall. I have heard about iPhone 5s battery problems, but I never had issues with my iPhones.
Another item that really intrigued me when moving to the Android device was the ability to customize my UI. I did go down that road a few times, but always ended switching back to the stock OS after a few days. Another feature I don't care about apparently.
One thing people said to me when switching to Android was that the phone would slow down dramatically after the first couple months. With that in mind, I really kept my eye on the snappiness of the UI and primary programs. I never noticed any slowdown... It may happen to others, but fortunately I never had that problem.
As for Apple is good, Google is evil... or the opposite depending on your viewpoint... I don't care. Generally I think I "like" Apple a bit more, but maybe I am just being swayed by the marketing and brand. Would my loyalty to either company sway my decision? No...
As long as Apple increases their screen size (as anticipated), I look forward to coming home in a couple months. In this case, size matters (screen size). Heck... I am even considering a Mac as my next computer although, I will have to work out financing for the one I really want.
Comments