Angela's First Movie

Took Angela to see Frozen today.  It was her first time ever going to a movie. If you are curious... here is how it went.

I chose the 10:55am showing because that was the time I guessed would be the least crowded and least likely to have adults in the theater that would be crabby about having a young child there who doesn't always user her quiet voice.  I was right about the audience which was nice.

We saw the movie at Aliante Station (a casino).  Walking Angela through the casino floor to get to the movie was weird.  Just didn't feel right having her in that environment and I really didn't like her breathing all the smoke in the air to get there.  I know... that is odd to hear from an ex-smoker, but there it is.

We got the children's combo from the refreshment stand which was still WAY bigger than it needed to be. Our timing was perfect as the previews started just as we sat down.  (They had child booster seats outside every theater which was nice.)  Unfortunately there were I think 5 previews and one of them was pretty scary for Angela.  At one point, I thought she was going to run out of the theater.  But she made it... and after about 15 minutes I thought the movie was going to start.

I was wrong... Instead they showed an "old-timey" Mickey Mouse cartoon that ended up in color, but I think the first part was an original cartoon.  It lasted a little under 10 minutes, but the humor was way too 'adult' for what I thought should be showing.  I can't really describe it, but there were several parts that just weren't right for small children.  (Maybe I just need a thicker skin about this type of thing.)

When the movie finally started, we had been in the theater almost 30 minutes.  While the movie was really good, Angela started getting antsy around the 50 minute mark.  Shifting around in here seat and wanting to move around.  Right around an hour, she leaned over and said "I want to go home."  I wanted to stay, but also wanted her first movie experience to be a good one, so we left.

While walking out, I heard the dreaded words a father of a young daughter does not want to hear: "Daddy... I gotta go potty."  This always seems to be a tough one for me.  I can't (nor do I want to) go into the women's bathroom, but I also don't like taking her in the men's bathroom.  Men's toilets are generally pretty nasty because I guess all men have bad aim and not all like to use a urinal.  So I asked if they had a family bathroom.  The guy then called for a manager who took us up an elevator and down a long, lonely hall to a family bathroom.  Why would they put a family bathroom in a secluded area that is off limits to the families that might need to use it?!

At least they had one.

At the end of the day though... every time I ask Angela if she had a good time, she yells "I LOVED THE MOVIE!".  So... good day.

Comments