Back in October while Monika was pregnant, she was monitoring her bloodsugar levels. Just for the heck of it, I checked mine one night. It was 389! Holy ****!!! Not good. I checked online to make sure this didn't require a trip to the hospital. Fortunately, it did not.
Soul searching time.
Dad was a diabetic. I saw how that disease can affect you. I don't want to go down that road. So I went on a strict diabetic diet. One side effect of being the child of a diabetic is that you "know" what you should eat. Obviously I hadn't been following it prior to testing 389, but knew what to do.
The progress was quick. By the end of the next day, my sugar was down into the 200s. By the day after, below 200. For a month or so was in the high 100's/low 200's but I could see progress. As a bonus, I was dropping weight too!
After that, it has been a slow march down with many many (MANY) plateaus. I would occasionally dip down to 110 but I remained too high. As time went on, my convictions waned a bit but I was still on a much healthier diet. I wouldn't go into depression if I ate pasta one night, but my day-to-day meals were pretty good. Instead of super high sugar/carbs being the staple, they were not the exception.
The last month or so has been really good. I am below 120 in the mornings and then other tests throughout the day would be around 100. Not ideal, but a HUGE improvement.
Yesterday I decided to test about three hours after eating. My level was 89. This marks the lowest I have been yet. It was a good feeling and I just wanted to share.
--C
Soul searching time.
Dad was a diabetic. I saw how that disease can affect you. I don't want to go down that road. So I went on a strict diabetic diet. One side effect of being the child of a diabetic is that you "know" what you should eat. Obviously I hadn't been following it prior to testing 389, but knew what to do.
The progress was quick. By the end of the next day, my sugar was down into the 200s. By the day after, below 200. For a month or so was in the high 100's/low 200's but I could see progress. As a bonus, I was dropping weight too!
After that, it has been a slow march down with many many (MANY) plateaus. I would occasionally dip down to 110 but I remained too high. As time went on, my convictions waned a bit but I was still on a much healthier diet. I wouldn't go into depression if I ate pasta one night, but my day-to-day meals were pretty good. Instead of super high sugar/carbs being the staple, they were not the exception.
The last month or so has been really good. I am below 120 in the mornings and then other tests throughout the day would be around 100. Not ideal, but a HUGE improvement.
Yesterday I decided to test about three hours after eating. My level was 89. This marks the lowest I have been yet. It was a good feeling and I just wanted to share.
--C
Comments