Dear Jon

Dear Jon,

You turn six months old in a few days.  I still can’t believe it has already been six months!  It seems like we just brought you home from the hospital.  I meant to write you this letter right after we got home, but as with many of my good intentions, it happens… just later than I would have liked.

I can still remember  when your mother told me she was pregnant with you.  She was in Poland with Angela visiting family while I was still back in Vegas.  I was driving home from playing golf when she told me.  To say I was excited would be a tremendous understatement.  Angela was going to have a little brother/sister!  Back then we didn’t know you were going to be a boy.  It killed me that she was thousands of miles away, but I couldn’t be happier with the news.

Since we had been through a pregnancy once already, there wasn’t a lot less stress involved while you were growing.  Instead we had time to relax and enjoy the news.  Still seems like yesterday when the doctor told us you were a boy…. Then she showed us pictures to prove it.  (Sorry about posting those pictures on the internet by the way)

Best of all I remember the first time I saw you (on the outside)… Through the tears, I saw a beautiful baby boy and my heart was bursting with emotion.  As you can imagine, childbirth can be a little tough of the baby, but you didn’t even cry.  You just looked up at Mom and I with an expression of “what just happened?” on your face.

Later that day, you got to meet the rest of your family.  Grandma... your uncle… and your sister.  All couldn’t wait to meet you.  Someday you will understand the pride of showing off your children to everyone.  Great moments in life… this is one of them for a parent.

Since then, you have been an easy baby.  You are pretty much always happy with what’s going on.  You cry only when you are pissed we haven’t fed you yet, but beside that… All smiles and giggles.  From time to time, you will be zoned out while starting at something like the pillow when you notice I am looking at you.  As soon as you notice, that huge smile spreads across your face.  And then you laugh.  I am assuming you are laughing because you are happy and not because I have spinach between my teeth.  Oh… and while we are on the subject… eat your vegetables.

In terms of progress, you are growing fast and are completely healthy.  You have worked out the whole rolling over thing and are within days of crawling I am sure.  You have begun your “humping” (rocking) stage which is the precursor for crawling.  I look forward to you growing out of that (humping) stage though.  It can make for some uncomfortable silences when out in public.  You mimic sounds you hear and I hope to hear your first word soon.  Although… as fascinated as you seem to be with our dog, I am pretty sure your first word won’t be “momma” or “daddy”… It will probably be “Buffy!”.   Just like Angela, you love Buffy and when she is in eyeshot, you are following her every move.

You also LOVE your sister.  Any time she plays with you, you giggle with glee.   When she is around you are beyond happy.  It is one of the cutest things I have ever seen.

I guess the last progress to mention is your standing.  I am surprised to say that you seem to be able to stand on your own after we get you to the upright position.  When you are standing on my lap, I take my hands away and you are good for a good 10-15 seconds.  Since you still haven’s mastered sitting on your own, I can’t figure out the standing thing.  But you still do it.

I have already written too much but want to close with another of my favorite things not already mentioned.  Every night when it is time for bed, your sister will go to all of us and give us a hug before bed.  Without us even having to tell her to, she will give you the most gentle little hug while whispering “night night Jonny”.  Precious.  I look forward to watching you and Angela grow up together.

Love,
Dad

Comments