Angela Valentine Hagood - Age 3

Dear Angela,
First… HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Three years ago today we welcomed you into the world with wide eyes and many tears… Most of the tears were from your Mom and me and were completely filled with joy.  Yours were probably filled with “HOLY **** WHAT THE **** JUST HAPPENED?!?!”  Shortly thereafter all the tears had dried, the doctors/nurses left the room, and we all stared at each other soaking in the new family structure.  Someday when you have children you will understand the simultaneous feelings of joy and terror.  You were a beautiful little girl and every time you looked at me my heart would melt.  Your mother and I are so blessed to have you.

Your birthday is today, but we had a small celebration on Saturday.  After your first dance recital (you were adorable in your costume!), you had three solid hours of hugs and kisses from family and friends, coupled with non-stop play time with Samantha and Cole.  When they finally left you almost collapsed from exhaustion.  It isn’t often you ask to go to bed… this was one of those days.

Watching you grow this past year has been amazing.  Besides your growth, the changes in your personality are the most remarkable.  I keep forgetting how smart you are… Quite often you figure something out that surprises me.  As you learn my patterns for doing things, you figure out the best way to beat me to the punch.  One of my favorite examples of this happened about 6 months ago.

Every day when I would pick you up from school, you would have saved your candy from lunch time.  It would still be in your lunch box.  When you were in the truck, you would demand to hold your lunch box (because you knew about the candy).  You would eat your candy and then not want to eat dinner.  Monika “encouraged” me to not let this happen.  The next time I picked you up from school, I took the candy out of your lunchbox.  On the drive home, you realized what had happened and yelled “DADDY!  THAT’S NOT NICE!”  I was proud of you for figuring it out, so I handed you your candy;  much to the chagrin of your mother.  I could handle the heat from Mom (this time).  The next day, when I came to pick you up… as soon as you saw me, you grabbed your lunch box so I wouldn't have an opportunity to “steal” your candy.  It was funny watching you work out how to put your jacket on while always keeping a hand on the lunch box.  You were too smart for me and the expression on your face said “I have my eye on you Dad”.

There are too many new things you have done this year for me to list here.  I won’t even try to write them all down.  Instead I will hit a few of the highlights:
·         The first time you said “I love you daddy”.  One of the top three moments of my life.  (You say “I love you mommy” as well… )
·         The first time you said “Daddy, you’re so silly”.
·         (Ok… there are a lot of “first time you said…” things… I will stop.)
·         You have completed your first year of school.  The drop-offs the first month were rough, but now you love it.  Every time we drive into the parking lot you yell “YAY SCHOOL!”.  I hope you feel the same way after homework starts.
·         You know your ABCs. 
·         You love to sing.  Unfortunately you seem to have inherited your singing ability from me and not your mother. 
·         You and Buffy (the boxer) are still best friends.  You even know how to tell her to go to her bed when she is bad.
·         You started swim lessons. Again… after the first couple, you learned to love it.
·         You started dance class.  You love to dance anytime you hear music. 
·         After watching Mom do it a few times, you figured out how to unlock the iPad, navigate to the app with your cartoons, and start the cartoons playing.
·         Sometimes you need a hug and you aren’t shy about asking for one.  I hope you are always like that!
·         You don’t eat a lot… unless it is candy… or pizza.
·         I would like to take a moment to say I am sorry about your hair.  On the mornings I take you to school it is generally a disaster.  I lack the skills to do anything more than a sloppy pony tail.  Fortunately, the teachers always take pity and fix your hair the moment I am out the door.
·         I see you love shoes.  I think you get that from me.  Although your mother’s collection is constantly growing.

Watching you grow up is a privilege I will never grow tired of.  You are an intelligent, precocious, beautiful little girl.  Please just don’t grow up too fast.  I don’t think I can handle that.

Love,

Dad

Comments

Russell said…
SO many things I love about this post.

Also, you're not alone in the hair department.