Pregnancy has turned out to be a very odd experience... and I’m not even the one with a little person growing inside me. It feels like Monika has been pregnant forever even though I know it is just a little over 8 months. I know in a couple years when I reflect back on this time, it will seem like it was over too quickly, but right now.... I just can’t wait.
I have shared this sentiment with most of my friends, and their reaction is almost always the same... "Enjoy your time now. You won’t have any after the baby gets here." At first this worried me a bit thinking I would never have time again... EVER. But all I have to do is look at those same friends and they have all figured out how to spend time with their wives... their baby(s)... and still find time to sleep... Granted, there are days some of them look a little tired, but I know that sacrificing a couple hours sleep here or there will be worth it. No question about that.
Today Monika is exactly 50 days away from Angela’s due date. Turns out there’s and app for that on my iPhone. :0) After doing some quick math, I realized that the due date is only a mere 7 weeks away. We only have 7 more weekends of "just us"... This realization suddenly shattered the "The baby will NEVER get here" feeling with "OMG! WE HAVE TOO MUCH TO DO AND ONLY 7 FREAKIN’ WEEKENDS TO GET IT DONE IN!!!!!!" I use all caps there because in my head it was a shout. Monika seems quite amused by my roller coaster of emotions on the timing of the birth. She just smiles a lot and when I start to freak out she pats me on the head and lets me feel the baby kick... and then all things are right in the world.
Speaking of my little Monika... My heart really goes out to her. I won’t go into any details here... but she is feeling VVEERRYY pregnant. She is beautiful and wonderfully cute at the same time. Just the other day she was preparing some dinner while I making lunch for the week. When I looked at her... she hadn’t noticed her shirt had started riding up a little bit and her belly was just hanging out without a care in the world. It was adorable and made me smack myself for not having my camera permanently attached to me... I have gotten some great pictures over the past 8 months... but for the rest of my life I know I will regret not taking more. Of course I don’t want to miss out on life by always being concerned with taking pictures of it... I am sure there is a balance I might figure out one day.
I know most of it is in my head, but it seems like our unborn daughter has a personality... She hiccups about has much as me, if not more... She likes to wake up at the same time every morning whether Monika is ready to or not... And when I lean down to talk to Monika’s belly Angie goes nuts kicking and rolling around. Makes me smile every time... every time. This little girl is going to have me wrapped around her finger from day one.
Lauri and Gina threw a baby shower for us this past Saturday and it was wonderful. I never thought a baby shower would be something for me, but I had a great time and I know Monika did too. We were surrounded by great friends and it was just a perfect day. Of course some of our family couldn’t make it, but they will be here for the birth or at least just after. The afternoon was spent catching up with good friends and celebrating one of the biggest and happiest events in our lives. What could be better than that? Thank you again to everybody who helped make the day so special for the both of us.
After the party, Monika and I loaded up the Expedition with an obscene number of gifts and headed home. Outside of a couple purchases left to make, we are almost set with what we "think" we need. The crib is set up... Angela has clothes for the first 18 months of life... assuming she isn’t born the size of a toddler. We have bottles... bottle warmers... little chairs... car seats... the stroller... stuffed animals... toys that make noise... the baby monitor... etc etc etc. The next couple weeks will be spent getting everything put away and just getting ready to bring the baby home...
I would be remiss to not mention a couple other big things that will happen before the due date. My lovely wife will graduate on May 8th with her Civil Engineering degree from UNLV. I have been with Monika through most of her schooling for this degree and I am in awe at her accomplishment. The classes have been tough at times, but in spite of juggling life, work, school, our wedding here, our wedding in Poland, and me... she has done an outstanding job and always brings home great grades and the respect of her teachers and fellow students. She doesn’t just pass... the excels. Inspiring...
Monika’s Mom is set to hit town towards the end of May and she will be here until August to help us with the baby. I can’t wait to see her again and I am sooo happy she is going to be here.
I haven’t booked my Mom’s plane ticket yet... She won’t be able to stay nearly as long so we are waiting for the due date to get a little closer before we book the ticket... I don’t want her to miss the birth by being here too early or leaving too late. Getting her here at the right time will be tricky, but I am confident things will work out. I can’t wait for her to get here either.
So... that’s what is happening over here in Vegas. 50 days and counting... And I do plan on talking to Monika to see if I can get her permission to live tweet the childbirth... at least until things get crazy.
Gotta run...
--C
Comments