We’re gonna have a what?!

Written 10/05/2009:

When Monika and I had figured out we were meant to be together, we of course discussed children. We both wanted at least one, but with a wedding (two weddings actually) to plan the discussion of when was put off for a little while. Last month, with our story-book weddings behind us, we started to discuss when we wanted to start “trying”. After talking about it for a little while, we both decided immediately was the right choice. Monika thought it would take a while… I thought it wouldn’t… we would see. I won’t go into details but suffice to say we “tried”.

For the past week, my lovely little wife kept telling me she was feeling different. She wasn’t sick in the mornings but coffee wasn’t really sitting right with her. On Friday Monika decided to take the test with only one question to see if she was right. I figured “no way”… As she walked back into the living room with a funny little grin on her face I knew what she was about to tell me. As we both hovered over the test while trying not to think of where it has just been, we argued over whether or not you could see the second little line that means “YOU’RE PREGGERS!” It was very very faint, but it did seem to be there. Then and there we decided a trip to the doctor was in order. We needed to know.

All weekend Monika kept telling me she was pregnant… I wanted to believe it, but I didn’t want to get my hopes up only to have them dashed by the blood test on Monday. I tried to keep my emotions in check. Sunday night Monika once again took her test and what was only a faint wisp of a line had turned into one you couldn’t ignore. Unless something went very wrong at the factory that makes the test, my wife was pregnant. I was excited, but still tried to keep my emotions back.

Today (10/05/2009) Monika’s appointment was for 11:30. The time from when I woke up until she called seemed like weeks. I couldn’t focus. I worked, but my heart wasn’t in it. Right after noon, my phone rang it the caller ID said it was Monika. I couldn’t answer fast enough. Instead of telling me what she knew I was dying to know, Monika started to make small talk. I asked “WELL?!?!”, to which she asked how my day was going. I was pretty sure my wife was trying to cause a stroke. She finally said “Baby… I’m pregnant!” Woo-Hoo! I am pretty sure you could have heard me from miles away. Immediately a smile spread across my face that I haven’t been able to get rid of yet. Monika and I are going to have a baby. I always dreamed this day would come, but I never thought it would get here. My fantasy of the perfect wife for me had come true, and now we have a child on the way. I can’t even describe the feeling. Those of you who are parents know exactly what I mean.

After telling Monika I loved her in as many ways as I could, we did finally have to get off the phone. Of course I had to caller her back a few minutes later to tell her I loved her again, but I just got some incredible news…. I couldn’t help myself.

Then the tough part began… Not being able to tell anybody. Of course my brother and Mother were told, but outside of that… I am keeping my mouth zipped until the first trimester is over. It will be an eternity waiting for that.

Apparently Monika got pregnant while just discussing trying because according to the doctor she has been with child for four weeks and four days. I told her it would be easy. J Our due date is June 7th… That day simultaneously seems like it is forever in the future and right on top of us at the same time. I… just… can’t… wait….

So, “Junior” (working title)… We just found out you are going to be here in about eight months. I don’t know what it’s going to be like, but I promise to be the best Dad I can and to always be there for you. While you are learning how to be you, I will be learning how to be a Dad. So bear with me while we go through it together. But don’t worry too much though… I learned from the best Dad there ever was. See you soon!

--C

Comments

Unknown said…
OMG! I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS! I remember the day I got that first pink line like it was yesterday. You are in for the wildest ride of your life. Enjoy it. The first time only happens once!

Sending all three of you lots of luck and love!
Oob said…
Grinning from ear to ear!!!