La Madre Springs Hike...

As a change of pace this weekend, Monika and I decided to pack Buffy into the truck and head off to do some hiking. A good friend of ours is crazy into it, and it sounded like it would be a nice way to get us some exercise. Our first attempt was on Sunday with a couple that mentioned off hand they were going up to Mt. Charleston to do a "short little hike" with their dogs. Monika and I decided that this "short little hike" would be a good way to ease ourselves into the hiking world.

Sunday morning arrived and we started our little caravan up the mountain. After parking at some elevation over 7000 feet, we then began the "short little hike" with the dogs running circles around us. It wasn't very far into the hike that I realized that I was in trouble. With our guides not even breaking a sweat, my legs were screaming and my pulse was trying to break some kind of record. We took some breaks, but I finally had to throw in the towel before we reached the end of the hike. As soon as we started to descend, my heart rate slowed back to a human level and things were fine. This "short little hike" was not a good way to start for us I think.

Not to be deterred by our first foray into hiking, Monika and I looked up what would officially be classified as an "easy" hike. There seemed to be some good options out at Red Rock Canyon, so we packed up Buffy again and headed out. After purchasing an annual pass to the park, we drove on around to where our trail should be. Hopped out of the car and we were on our way. This hike started off much MUCH easier than the previous day's. After going about a quarter of a mile, we hit a trail sign that pointed in two directions but the trail names did not include the one we thought we were on. Whoops... One of the two was called "La Madre Springs" and was classified as moderate hike. We decided to give it a try. It wasn't all up-hill, but it sure did feel like it at times. After 1.7 miles we finally reached the natural spring at the end. Monika and I kicked back for a little while munching on granola bars while Buffy frolicked in the spring with a couple other dogs. This was Buffy's first time being around water and she didn't even pause before jumping in. It was very cute.

The 1.7 mile hike back down was much quicker and much easier than the ascent. I think I could be really good at the whole "down hill hiking" thing. :-) My only regret about Monday's hike? We forgot to wear sunscreen. Yeah... ouch! Next time....

I don't like knowing I couldn't make it to the top of the Cathedral Rock hike, so I do see us re-visiting that one in the not too distant future. I hate leaving stuff like that unfinished.

I should have the pictures posted up on facebook tomorrow (they are having issues this evening), and will update this post when they are posted. Until then, here is movie of Buffy learning how to drink from a bottle.

Update: Pictures are now available on my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=104620&id=580092347&l=79ba64b1ae

--C


Comments