Kicking off my favorite time of year...

With the college football season starting this weekend, my favorite time of year will officially be starting. I can relive some of my college days every Saturday watching UGA make their way back to national title contention. The temperature here in Vegas finally begins to cool off from "hotter than the surface of the sun" to "I can actually live with this temperature if I am in the shade". The holiday season is just around the corner... I don't know... Everything just seems a little more festive once we see September on our calendars. At least that is how it is for me.

On the home front... Monika and I are doing really good. We seem to have finally gotten over our jet-lag and are settling into the fall schedule. Monika has started her penultimate semester in school and we are both positively giddy with the prospect of her finishing next May. Getting a civil engineering degree is very difficult and I couldn't be more proud of her. I have been there as she has sacrificed evenings and weekends to study or do homework. I have seen the 14 hour days she has had to put in. Not once has she ever complained or even considered throwing in the towel. She is an amazing woman and thankfully for me... I am smart enough to realize it.

Given our new, more hectic, fall schedules... we found ourselves with a problem a couple days a week with regards to our Buffy. While she can make it in her cage for the eight hours we are gone, it just isn't fair to her. She just isn't mature enough to be left alone in the house. While she hasn't destroyed any furniture yet, I am fairly confident that left alone for that many hours, there is a good possibility she would eat our sofa... or worse... one of the cats. So after considering our options, we undertook the project of installing a doggy door into the wall. I won't lie... It wasn't easy, but the work was pretty straight-forward. It was a little disconcerting though about half way through the project when there was just a gaping hole in our wall.

After returning our initial purchase and returning with better brand doggy door, the installation was finally done. I can take very little credit regarding the project outside of suggesting where we should cut the hole and being available to be the runner for tools and supplies. Monika did most of the work. Don't laugh... I am the last person in the world you want approaching your wall with a reciprocating saw.

It only took us about 10 minutes to train Buffy on how to go in and out of the door. Now she loves it! The door goes out to the side of the house and we put up a little temporary fence so she kinda has a dog run but can't get to the trees and flowers in the back yard. (I got a thank you card from our fig tree for that.) In the house, we took the back off of her cage and backed it up to the doggy door. Now when we are gone, she can be outside as much as she wants... and when she comes inside, she is confined to her pin for the safety of our cats and sofas. So far it seems to be working out really well.

Hope everybody is doing well.... I am still working on the "Wedding Reception 2.0" post. Hopefully in the next few days.

--C

Comments