Life in General...

Not to sound like a broken record, but in spite of trials here or there... life is good.  Life is REALLY good.  I don't get tired of typing that, but I know y'all probably get tired of reading it.  Sorry... just how it is.

Monika and I are gearing up for our trip to Poland.  The tickets have been purchased, time off from work approved, and Mom gets here a couple days before we all leave for Poland.  OMG... I just realized that we leave two months from tomorrow!  I won't lie... I am a little bit nervous about the wedding over there, but nowhere near as up tight as I was about the one here.  I think it is because we aren't having to plan everything.  Outside of getting ourselves, and our clothes there... Monika's mom is taking care of the rest.  Definitely a different experience.

One thing I don't think I was prepared for is... what it means to get married in the Catholic church.  I am Lutheran, and Monika is Catholic.  We decided that we were going to have the "church wedding" in a Cathedral in her home town.  I figured that was pretty much it.  Decide where... book the church.  Done.  haha... I was WAY wrong.  Apparently when you want to get married in the Catholic church there are all kinds of things you have to do before the church will approve your wedding.  Thank goodness Monika had the 411 on this.  When we went to see the priest at a local church here in Vegas, she whipped out document after document after document documenting baptisms, birth (certificates), affidavits from friends and family... I sat there stunned as the priest asked for something and she handed it to him.  We had two more sessions with the priest (deacon actually) where we talked about general life issues to make sure we (Monika and I) had talked about some of the things that can cause some friction in a new marriage.  I was not happy with having to do this, but now that I have been through it... I actually really enjoyed it.  The deacon was very nice and the three of us had some really great conversations.  I have to say... I am thinking about attending that church now.  I also really can see the value in these sessions for younger couples who are about to get married.  It isn't counseling... Just a time to make sure you are both on the same page of some of the bigger issues.  

Next weekend (13th), our final hurdle to get our marriage approved will be in the form of a "pre cana" class.  This is basically an 8 hour pre-marriage counseling class.  I really wasn't looking forward to this, but after our meetings with the deacon I am a little more open minded.  And... I will be with Monika, which makes anything we have to do ok.  After our class, we get our certificate to the deacon and he sends off the paperwork.  We should get everything done *just* in time.

On an unpleasant note... I went to a dentist for the first time in over five years.  You can guess how well that went.  I am in the midst of getting things taken care of and fortunately for me I have found an OUTSTANDING dentist.  But... that is a topic for another post that I will write once I am on the other side of all this.

Lastly... If anybody out there is looking to buy a '67 Mustang, I am selling.  Or if you know anybody, send them my way.


--C

Comments