As most of you know, Monika and I are headed to Poland this summer for our "church" wedding. We had our civil ceremony here back in October, and on August 9th we will be married in the eyes of God. I think we are really lucky to have the opportunity to have two weddings. If you would have asked me a few years ago I would have said that two weddings would be a nightmare. But, with our wedding day being one of the happiest days of my life (with the weekend I proposed a close second)... Who wouldn't want to do that twice? The odd part is not being quite as involved in the planning portion of it. My mother in law has taken the bull by the horns and is doing an outstanding job planning everything. I know what goes into a wedding, so I really know how much work it is... I will forever be in her debt.
When we were in Poland, we saw some churches and visited some locations for the reception so Monika's mom had something to work from. The church is amazing... Actually I should say the "cathedral" (several hundred years old) is amazing, and I love love love where our reception is going to be. I will be honest though, not being involved has made it feel like it isn't quite real. We can't wait, but it still didn't feel quite real until yesterday.
Yesterday I finally got around to getting to the Clark County Recorder's office for copies of our wedding certificate... Part of this is in preparation for our trip. And then last night after weeks and weeks of price-shopping, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the plane tickets for Monika, my Mom, and me. It kills me to pay $1,271.00 per ticket, but one thing shopping for so long showed me was that this was actually a good deal. Most prices were in the $1,400 range. I know I know... At least one person will want to tell me they flew to Europe for $400 each way... To this I respond, "when?" If you flew in January I can TOTALLY see that happening. The issue we are fighting against is that July and August are high season for trips to Europe. The weather is perfect there that time of year, and consequently that is when most people want to go.
We booked our trip through Orbitz which has this little thing called a "price guarantee". Basically, if somebody books the same ticket as you for a lower price they will refund up to $250 per ticket after your trip. I won't be holding my breath waiting for a check. No way to validate if somebody orders a ticket. I just don't have that much faith in a company on the honor system when it comes to money. But who knows? Maybe I will get lucky. Another bonus is that Vegas is miserable that time of year with the temperature constantly over 100 and normally not dipping below 90 at night. We won't have to deal with two weeks of that... Bonus!
After I bought the tickets last night I was like a little kid. Monika was thoroughly amused by my excitement. I literally could not stand still. I was bouncing up and down and was ready to start packing in spite of August 5th (date we leave) being months away. Sigh... It seems so far away now. Can't wait!
--C
Comments