You might remember a little while back I wrote about the passing of a friend named Pete Martel. It still feels like I wrote too much and too little at the same time. I am not quite sure how that is possible, but you feel how you feel.This past weekend, Pete's wife Jan organized and hosted a memorial golf tournament at the Las Vegas Golf Club. Jan had mentioned that she really wanted Luke and I to play in it, but she didn't even have to ask really. I, and even though I can't speak for Luke I am sure he is with me, considered it an honor. What struck me as we were waiting to head out to the first hole was how perfect a memorial this was for Pete. He loved (LOVED) to play golf. Pretty much every time we ever spoke he was bending my ear about where he had played the week before and what his score was. I say bended my ear, but I enjoyed our conversations and now realize there were far to few of them.
I digress... Many of Pete's friends he had made over the years playing golf, or through work, or through friends of friends had come together to... Well... to play a round of golf in his honor. It doesn't sound right to say it like that, but we were all doing something he loved to do and taking the time to share stories about our lost friend. It just felt right.
The weather turned out perfect and it really was an outstanding day. After the round, everybody met back at the clubhouse where we took time to meet friends we didn't know yet and share a drink over stories sad and funny both. Non golfers joined in the afternoon's festivities and it was just right. That is the only way to explain it.
After it was all said and done, Monika and I headed home and I won't lie. It was sad. Not to get overly dramatic on the subject, but it felt like the final goodbye as I drove off. Jan... Thank you for putting everything together. It was just the best way I could think of for many of us to say goodbye.
--Chris
If you would like to view the four pictures I took right before we headed out to the course: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=66594&id=580092347&l=a1c37204e9
Comments