I have gone back and forth on whether to write about something here. It isn't fun. It isn't funny. And it most likely isn't interesting to anybody but myself. I just don't know....
A friend of mine just passed away a few days ago. He is the husband of a very good friend, and while I wasn't *that* close with him, I still counted him among my friends. We had spent some time chatting at a few parties. We used to play golf together. He was good people. This past week cancer finally won the war even having been beaten in battle after battle. Pete went through hell the past couple years with his health issues, and I was constantly awed by his inner strength. His questions when he was in the hospital weren't "When can I go home?"... They were "When can I get back to work?" It wasn't a matter of money either. It was because that was what he was supposed to do.
Pete leaves behind not only countless friends who will miss him, but also a loving family who have also amazed me through this all. Days and events that would have turned me into a basket case were weathered by Pete's wife with a stoic look of determination and a will power I hope someday to posses. Things will be tough for his family, but I have no doubt their ability to come through it.
As things began to approach their conclusion this week, I found myself not knowing what to do. Every time I picked up the phone to call, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. From a few people who had stopped by the house I knew that it was constantly a full house with people coming over to say goodbye and to help in any way they could. As can happen in this type of situation, I ran out of time. I had decided to make the drive over this weekend to see about my friends. I never had the chance.
There isn't a good way to wrap up this post. I don't have any words of inspiration and can't think of anything eloquent to say. Other than... goodbye Pete. You will be missed.
--C
Comments