I have been considering what to write about mine and Monika's wedding last week. I am sure you have noticed that my blog as been silent since before the wedding. Here I sit a week later and I still find myself afraid to broach the topic. The problem is that no matter how hard I try, there is no way I am going to be able to come close to conveying how I felt that day or what a perfect night it was. There just are no words that can do it justice.
Since I met my wife, our romance was like that from a storybook. Things began with our first date and from there we followed a wonderful road on our relationship that lead to our wedding last Friday. Every time I saw her, I fell for her a little more and it while I knew I wanted to marry her long long ago, I waited to ask just a little longer. Having practiced great restraint, I finally popped the question in April and to the great relief of my heart, Monika accepted. After a weekend of pure bliss in Santa Monica, CA, we headed back to Vegas to start planning the wedding. I won't go into the details about the preparations, but from what I can gleam from others, our wedding planning was pretty easy. Monika and I worked together on the things we could... I took care of some things... She took care of others. We didn't fight about any of the plans. We didn't get stressed out an yell at each other. We just fell a little more in love every day and I can't imagine it being any other way.
A few weeks ago, friends and family began arriving in town from around the world. My new in-laws arrived from Poland. My Mom arrived from Maryland... My friends started getting here from all over the country. All the plans were in place and the clock was ticking down to Monika and I beginning a new chapter of our lives together. I have touched on this before, but will again here. I was nervous, but not because I had cold feet about being married. I was nervous because I wanted the perfect wedding for Monika. I wanted it to be everything she ever dreamed about. I wanted it to be just as good as the weddings she dreamed about as a kid. More than anything I wanted her to be happy that night and for everything we planned to come of perfectly.
The day of the wedding had arrived and for the first time since we moved in together, we had slept in different beds. In spite of being terribly tired, I did not sleep good without the love of my life next to me. At an all to early hour of the morning I awoke from my slumber to meet some of my friends at the golf course. Having a Mom-cooked breakfast with Mom and Larry didn't hurt though... I didn't really feel much like playing that day, but I had to fill the time with something or I would go crazy. What better than a round of golf with my friends? (We won't talk about how I played.)
The day wore on and the hour grew closer and I could feel myself getting more nervous. While checking into the hotel and getting into my tux, I tried to take the time to reflect on the importance of the day. After years of waiting and some dreadful relationships, I had finally found "the one". In just a short time, I would be marrying my dream girl. And she is in love with me just as much as I am with her. After wondering if it would ever happen for me, it finally did. I smiled and my nerves washed away. Everything would be ok, because I knew when the music began to play I would finally have my Monika next to me... for the rest of our lives.
Once arriving at Angel Park, everything happened in kind of a blur. I remember spending some time with my friends and taking the pictures with the male contingent of the bridal party. I remember checking to make sure all the vendors had made it on time and there were no problems. I remember the officiator giving me some words of encouragement. I remember it all, but it felt like I was floating just a little above it all.
The ceremony began with me already at the end of the aisle with the officiator. I watched some of my best friends escort the ladies in the bridal party before shaking my hand and taking their spot next to me. As often happens at moments like this, time seemed to slow down a little and clarity set in. I could see on everybody's face how happy they were for us, and I know I was glowing too. The staff closed the door and I knew that Monika and her father were going to be on the other side when it opened again.
When the doors opened, I saw what looked like an angel. I felt my heart pound, and my breath catch in my throat. Monika was easily the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in my life. She was the vision poets can only attempt to capture when writing about beauty. As she walked down the aisle, our eyes met and she gave me a smile that made my heart melt. It is cliche to say I am the luckiest guy in the world, but I don't care. That is how I feel. This wonderful woman was becoming my wife. There just aren't words to describe the joy I had then and still have just thinking about her.
Monika's father gave her away and the officiator began. I didn't hear most of it since I could focus on nothing but Monika. Fortunately I did pay enough attention to catch when I needed to respond. As I said "I do", it come out softly and I am sure not many heard it. I wanted to run to the street and shout it at the world, but was a little too choked up at the time. Monika also said "I do" and I began to breathe again. As the ceremony ended and we turned to walk down the aisle as husband and wife, the flash bulbs went off and the best part of my life began.
Our wedding day was the best day of my life, but I know there are great days still to come with Monika at my side. I look forward to spending my life with her and trying every day to make her happy.
--C
Since I met my wife, our romance was like that from a storybook. Things began with our first date and from there we followed a wonderful road on our relationship that lead to our wedding last Friday. Every time I saw her, I fell for her a little more and it while I knew I wanted to marry her long long ago, I waited to ask just a little longer. Having practiced great restraint, I finally popped the question in April and to the great relief of my heart, Monika accepted. After a weekend of pure bliss in Santa Monica, CA, we headed back to Vegas to start planning the wedding. I won't go into the details about the preparations, but from what I can gleam from others, our wedding planning was pretty easy. Monika and I worked together on the things we could... I took care of some things... She took care of others. We didn't fight about any of the plans. We didn't get stressed out an yell at each other. We just fell a little more in love every day and I can't imagine it being any other way.
A few weeks ago, friends and family began arriving in town from around the world. My new in-laws arrived from Poland. My Mom arrived from Maryland... My friends started getting here from all over the country. All the plans were in place and the clock was ticking down to Monika and I beginning a new chapter of our lives together. I have touched on this before, but will again here. I was nervous, but not because I had cold feet about being married. I was nervous because I wanted the perfect wedding for Monika. I wanted it to be everything she ever dreamed about. I wanted it to be just as good as the weddings she dreamed about as a kid. More than anything I wanted her to be happy that night and for everything we planned to come of perfectly.
The day of the wedding had arrived and for the first time since we moved in together, we had slept in different beds. In spite of being terribly tired, I did not sleep good without the love of my life next to me. At an all to early hour of the morning I awoke from my slumber to meet some of my friends at the golf course. Having a Mom-cooked breakfast with Mom and Larry didn't hurt though... I didn't really feel much like playing that day, but I had to fill the time with something or I would go crazy. What better than a round of golf with my friends? (We won't talk about how I played.)
The day wore on and the hour grew closer and I could feel myself getting more nervous. While checking into the hotel and getting into my tux, I tried to take the time to reflect on the importance of the day. After years of waiting and some dreadful relationships, I had finally found "the one". In just a short time, I would be marrying my dream girl. And she is in love with me just as much as I am with her. After wondering if it would ever happen for me, it finally did. I smiled and my nerves washed away. Everything would be ok, because I knew when the music began to play I would finally have my Monika next to me... for the rest of our lives.
Once arriving at Angel Park, everything happened in kind of a blur. I remember spending some time with my friends and taking the pictures with the male contingent of the bridal party. I remember checking to make sure all the vendors had made it on time and there were no problems. I remember the officiator giving me some words of encouragement. I remember it all, but it felt like I was floating just a little above it all.
The ceremony began with me already at the end of the aisle with the officiator. I watched some of my best friends escort the ladies in the bridal party before shaking my hand and taking their spot next to me. As often happens at moments like this, time seemed to slow down a little and clarity set in. I could see on everybody's face how happy they were for us, and I know I was glowing too. The staff closed the door and I knew that Monika and her father were going to be on the other side when it opened again.
When the doors opened, I saw what looked like an angel. I felt my heart pound, and my breath catch in my throat. Monika was easily the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in my life. She was the vision poets can only attempt to capture when writing about beauty. As she walked down the aisle, our eyes met and she gave me a smile that made my heart melt. It is cliche to say I am the luckiest guy in the world, but I don't care. That is how I feel. This wonderful woman was becoming my wife. There just aren't words to describe the joy I had then and still have just thinking about her.
Monika's father gave her away and the officiator began. I didn't hear most of it since I could focus on nothing but Monika. Fortunately I did pay enough attention to catch when I needed to respond. As I said "I do", it come out softly and I am sure not many heard it. I wanted to run to the street and shout it at the world, but was a little too choked up at the time. Monika also said "I do" and I began to breathe again. As the ceremony ended and we turned to walk down the aisle as husband and wife, the flash bulbs went off and the best part of my life began.
Our wedding day was the best day of my life, but I know there are great days still to come with Monika at my side. I look forward to spending my life with her and trying every day to make her happy.
--C
Comments
How do you say, "More sausage and beer, please!" in polish?
-LV_HUSKER