Thanks to the teacher...

First off, I would like to pledge my unending appreciation to my golf instructor. After a rough start at Los Prados with Luke, I finally figured out how to hit my driver. I had a lesson on Tuesday and had not had time to get to the range to work on the stuff from the lesson. We focused the entire lesson on my driver and even by the time I left it was still not good. No matter what we tried, how far away I would stand, how I altered my swing... I would still hit on the heel of the club. But I left my lesson with some instructions on how to work through the problem. Did I do that? Of course not. Instead of putting in time at the driving range, Luke and I went to play golf on a rather narrow course.

It didn't just start out rough... It was HORRIBLE. What were supposed to be my drives, were instead line drives off at a 45 degree angle to my left. If it wasn't for some fortunately placed cinder block walls I would have broken some windows. Instead of letting it get to me, I just tried to relax and just do what I *know* I should be doing. By about the 5th or 6th hole, I really ripped one down the left side of the fairway. It felt good. REALLY good. When we approached the next hole I was wondering if it was just a fluke and tried to replicate what I did before. Sure enough it was down the fairway again just a little to the left. I was hitting the sweet spot on the driver and it felt good!


I don't remember which hole it was, but on one that was about a 305 yard par four you have to hit a little bit of a fade to get around an obstacle. Even with the obstacle staring me in the face about 30 yards away threatening to send anything hit into it right back at me, I line up and swung for all I was worth. I watched in amazement as the ball took flight whizzing past the obstacle over the trees fading as it went. Because of the layout of the hole I had no idea where I would finish, but I figured it would be close to the green. As Luke and I approached the green there my ball was in the middle of the green about 12 feet from the pin. I had an eagle putt!! I came really really close but had to settle for a birdie.


I had some rough holes on the day, but my driver quickly became the best club in my bag and it is all thanks to my instructor. Thank Jon! Can't wait for next week!


--C

Comments