A couple years ago, my buddy Aaron (who was living with me at the time) suggested we go play golf since the weather was getting nice. I hadn't played in years, but it sounded like a good idea. We met up with another buddy of mine (Luke), dusted off the clubs, and proceeded to pepper houses with our errant shots. (Aaron and I that is...)
Frustrating as it was, the golf bug bit me and I wanted to play more and more. I am a far cry from being a good golfer, but over the past couple years my game has gotten better and better. A big leap forward for me was when I visited Danny in Atlanta last year and he had me play a few rounds with a friend of his who is VERY good. He gave me some pointers and by the time I got home my game was better by about 10 strokes.
I have flirted with breaking 90 a few times, but consistency seems to be a problem for me. It is not unusual for me to follow a birdie with a quadruple bogey. When you do that you are not going to get a good score.
This season I have noticed parts of my game shining, but I still have problems. Problems I just am not sure how to fix. I spend my time at the range and practicing, but I am not getting much better. I still enjoy playing, but it is getting frustrating.
Thanks to my brother, I have had four lessens with the pro at Golf Galaxy waiting to be taken advantage of. Today was my first lesson. I didn't know what to expect walking in so I just took all of my clubs. After reading this guy's bio I was also quite nervous. This guy used to play on the PGA tour and he was going to be helping "me"?! So yeah... Little nervous.
Shortly after meeting John, he put me at ease... After all; teaching is what he does for a living now. The lesson started with me hitting balls off a mat into a net while he talked to me about my game and what I wanted to accomplish. He didn't offer any tips, just captured everything on video. After about 10-15 minutes of hitting, he told me to put my clubs down and we discussed the video he took in detail. Turns out most of my swing is actually really good, it is just some timing things I need to work out. Also need to work on where I line up before I hit. He showed me some videos of pros next to the video of me pointing out where I could make improvements.
After his explaining not only what needed to change, but WHY it needed to change he gave me some things to practice on the range before next week. I had a few things I needed to take care of at home so I fought the urge to go straight to the driving range, but I am really looking forward to seeing what these little tweaks to my swing will result in. Do I expect my score to go down drastically immediately? No. I suspect it will go up before it goes down, but I am looking forward to my lesson next Tuesday. I will let you know how it goes!
--C
Frustrating as it was, the golf bug bit me and I wanted to play more and more. I am a far cry from being a good golfer, but over the past couple years my game has gotten better and better. A big leap forward for me was when I visited Danny in Atlanta last year and he had me play a few rounds with a friend of his who is VERY good. He gave me some pointers and by the time I got home my game was better by about 10 strokes.
I have flirted with breaking 90 a few times, but consistency seems to be a problem for me. It is not unusual for me to follow a birdie with a quadruple bogey. When you do that you are not going to get a good score.
This season I have noticed parts of my game shining, but I still have problems. Problems I just am not sure how to fix. I spend my time at the range and practicing, but I am not getting much better. I still enjoy playing, but it is getting frustrating.
Thanks to my brother, I have had four lessens with the pro at Golf Galaxy waiting to be taken advantage of. Today was my first lesson. I didn't know what to expect walking in so I just took all of my clubs. After reading this guy's bio I was also quite nervous. This guy used to play on the PGA tour and he was going to be helping "me"?! So yeah... Little nervous.
Shortly after meeting John, he put me at ease... After all; teaching is what he does for a living now. The lesson started with me hitting balls off a mat into a net while he talked to me about my game and what I wanted to accomplish. He didn't offer any tips, just captured everything on video. After about 10-15 minutes of hitting, he told me to put my clubs down and we discussed the video he took in detail. Turns out most of my swing is actually really good, it is just some timing things I need to work out. Also need to work on where I line up before I hit. He showed me some videos of pros next to the video of me pointing out where I could make improvements.
After his explaining not only what needed to change, but WHY it needed to change he gave me some things to practice on the range before next week. I had a few things I needed to take care of at home so I fought the urge to go straight to the driving range, but I am really looking forward to seeing what these little tweaks to my swing will result in. Do I expect my score to go down drastically immediately? No. I suspect it will go up before it goes down, but I am looking forward to my lesson next Tuesday. I will let you know how it goes!
--C
Comments