Poland Day 4 - Sunday 5/18/2008…

Originally Posted on May 26, 2008
-----------------------------------------
I was very excited as soon as I got up this morning. I was going to see a castle! And not just any castle… The biggest one in Poland. Of course I was ready in record time and tried to sit patiently through breakfast even though everybody else seemed to be in slow motion.

Everybody eventually did get ready any we all piled into the car and were off to Malbork Castle. The drive was about 50 kilometers so it didn’t take too long to get there. It helped that we were on a toll road too so the road was really nice. 4 lane highway…

The castle turned out to be everything I hoped it would be. Just amazing. Thomak acted as tour guide and lead us all around the castle explaining what all of the rooms were. We climbed to the top of yet ‘another’ tower. They really need to look into elevators! The climb was rough, but the view was worth it. Again… when I get home I will have the pictures uploaded so you can see what I am talking about.

After quite a bit of walking around we had some lunch in what I think was the original kitchen for the castle. The ambiance was exactly what you would expect, and the food outstanding. I had Zurek (sour soup) and Bigos (sourkraut with mushrooms). That along with a pint of beer was just what the doctor ordered. We did a little more walking around, but had to leave to make it to a BBQ at Derek’s (Thomak’s brother) house.

One of the things that is different here is that when you have a house built, you get it unfinished from the builder and then it is up to you to finish the house. Derek had just received the house from the builder and was just starting to put in floors… doors… appliances… etc. So we had our bbq on lawn chairs in what would eventually be the kitchen. It was actually very fun. I look forward to seeing the finished product when I come back here next year.

Once again the new people I met were very nice and the food amazing. I feel like this is becoming a “What I ate in Poland” blog, but it is so different I really need to blog about it. I had black pudding (not a dessert), potatoe sausage, kiszka, and ziemniaczana (another kind of sausage I think). It was with very fully bellies we said goodbye to everybody and headed home.

Back at Thomak and Ala’s house we sat back to watch a little TV with some Vodka. As I mentioned in a previous post, we watched dancing with the stars. Funny.

Again I fell into bed exhausted. Another good day.

–C

Comments