Originally Posted on May 25, 2008
-----------------------------------------
This was to be our fist full day in Poland. It is amazing how much a good night’s sleep will do for you. I am forever in Thomak and Ala’s debt for them giving us the big bed while we were there.
The day started off with and outstanding breakfast of fresh bread, cold cuts, and tomatoes among other things. Thank goodness they have coffee here. :-) I thought maybe such a spread was jus for us, but apparently it is normal here. Breakfast and lunch are big and dinner is much smaller. Probably why so many people are in good shape here.
After a quick shower, Thomak whisked us away to the seaport in Sopot. Gdansk is actually one of three connected cities. Sopot is the second, and Gdynia is the third.
It was a fun trip and we walked to the end of the longest pier in Poland. Did a little shopping and tried some of the local food. Smoked cheese… amazing.
After Sopot, Thomak and Ala dropped us off in old town Gdansk to shop and sight see. Monika and I proceeded to climb a tower that seemed to have about 1000 steps. Ok… not quite that many, but the way my legs were burning, it sure felt like it. The view of the city from the top of the tower made it worth the pain of getting there. I will of course post the pictures when I get back to America.
Walking down the stairs from the tower was much easier than the ascension, and when we got to the bottom I was rewarded with some piwo (beer) at a local Pub. Thomak met us there and we proceeded to kill most of the aftenoon talking and drinking Polish beer. I have to say that I am a big fan of Polish beer and Vodka so far.
Since we had been drinking, we elected to take the train (lite rail) back to the house. That was an interesting experience. Public transportation seems to be the same everywhere. I will just leave it at that.
When we got back to the house, it was time for a BBQ. I watched as Thomak put some fresh salmon in a smoker for us to eat later. This isn’t a store bought smoker either. This one is built by hand into the side of the hill in the garden. Big fire in one area, and then abou 20 feet away was where you put the food. I was looking forward to trying the Salmon. Until then we ate pork and too many other local foods for me to try to remember. The Vokda was flowing so my memory is a little foggy.
About four hours later we pulled the salmon out of the smoker and it literally is the BEST fish I have ever eaten. Just amazing. We spent a couple more hours talking and just hanging out in the garden. Then it was time for bed. Just a great day.
–C
-----------------------------------------
This was to be our fist full day in Poland. It is amazing how much a good night’s sleep will do for you. I am forever in Thomak and Ala’s debt for them giving us the big bed while we were there.
The day started off with and outstanding breakfast of fresh bread, cold cuts, and tomatoes among other things. Thank goodness they have coffee here. :-) I thought maybe such a spread was jus for us, but apparently it is normal here. Breakfast and lunch are big and dinner is much smaller. Probably why so many people are in good shape here.
After a quick shower, Thomak whisked us away to the seaport in Sopot. Gdansk is actually one of three connected cities. Sopot is the second, and Gdynia is the third.
It was a fun trip and we walked to the end of the longest pier in Poland. Did a little shopping and tried some of the local food. Smoked cheese… amazing.
After Sopot, Thomak and Ala dropped us off in old town Gdansk to shop and sight see. Monika and I proceeded to climb a tower that seemed to have about 1000 steps. Ok… not quite that many, but the way my legs were burning, it sure felt like it. The view of the city from the top of the tower made it worth the pain of getting there. I will of course post the pictures when I get back to America.
Walking down the stairs from the tower was much easier than the ascension, and when we got to the bottom I was rewarded with some piwo (beer) at a local Pub. Thomak met us there and we proceeded to kill most of the aftenoon talking and drinking Polish beer. I have to say that I am a big fan of Polish beer and Vodka so far.
Since we had been drinking, we elected to take the train (lite rail) back to the house. That was an interesting experience. Public transportation seems to be the same everywhere. I will just leave it at that.
When we got back to the house, it was time for a BBQ. I watched as Thomak put some fresh salmon in a smoker for us to eat later. This isn’t a store bought smoker either. This one is built by hand into the side of the hill in the garden. Big fire in one area, and then abou 20 feet away was where you put the food. I was looking forward to trying the Salmon. Until then we ate pork and too many other local foods for me to try to remember. The Vokda was flowing so my memory is a little foggy.
About four hours later we pulled the salmon out of the smoker and it literally is the BEST fish I have ever eaten. Just amazing. We spent a couple more hours talking and just hanging out in the garden. Then it was time for bed. Just a great day.
–C
Comments