Last year around this time I began to notice somebody at work. She was funny, smart, and beautiful. I have a rule about dating people I work with, so of course I could never act on what I was starting to feel, but wow... she was pretty incredible. As time went by, we talked... we got to know each other better, and finally I couldn't stand it. I asked her out.
After dinner we headed back down into the casino and found a couple seats at one of the bars where we spent the next several hours just talking and getting to know each other. With every detail I discovered the more nervous I got. She really was wonderful and I really REALLY didn't want to screw this up. After several hours it was time to take her home. I didn't want to evening to end, but it was time. After I dropped her off, I drove home in a haze. I had just gone on a date with the most in incredible girl I had ever met. Oh god, I hope I don't screw this up.


As time lead up to our first date I was as nervous as a high school kid getting ready for my first date ever. I couldn't believe it. I barely know this girl and already my stomach is in knots?! My nerves didn't get much better after I picked her up. When I knocked on her door and she opened it, I caught my breath. She was beautiful. There was no way I was going to make it through the night without making a fool of myself. On our first date I took her to VooDoo Lounge at the top of the Rio hotel. Our seat was right next to the window with a perfect view of the Las Vegas strip. I couldn't tell you much about dinner except it seemed to fly by as if we were in a time warp. Fortunately Monika had a camera so we got a picture. Here it is.
After dinner we headed back down into the casino and found a couple seats at one of the bars where we spent the next several hours just talking and getting to know each other. With every detail I discovered the more nervous I got. She really was wonderful and I really REALLY didn't want to screw this up. After several hours it was time to take her home. I didn't want to evening to end, but it was time. After I dropped her off, I drove home in a haze. I had just gone on a date with the most in incredible girl I had ever met. Oh god, I hope I don't screw this up.To my delight, she agreed to go out with me again... and again... Over the next few months we slowly become closer and I began to fall for her more every day. All I could think about when I was with her was how happy I was, and when I wasn't with her I couldn't wait to see her again. I didn't just fall for her, I fell for her hard. All my friends and family who had to listen to me ramble on can vouch for this.
I can't pinpoint when it happened, but I realized I was in love and I needed to do something. Letting her get away wasn't an option. I am pretty sure I couldn't go on if that happened.
This past weekend Monika and I took a little vacation weekend to Santa Monica beach in California. I spent hours and hours on the Internet trying to pick the perfect hotel, the perfect restaurant... to make it the perfect trip. I called one of my good friends Janeen about 50 times since she knows the area to check on hotels and restaurants. I wanted to make the weekend perfect.
Our drive down was uneventful and we made it to Santa Monica safe and sound. Around 10pm we checked into a very nice hotel called The Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalos. The rooms were a bit small, but the hotel was NICE. What the room lacked in size was made up by an amazing view of the ocean and the best service I have ever seen at a hotel. Here is picture from our room.
The next day we did some shopping, but as the time got closer for what I had planned I began to get nervous. We spent some time at the pool, but I was already a ball of nerves by this point. When we got back to the room, the plans I had spent weeks on started. We had champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us when we got back. We enjoyed those and sat watching the sun make its way across the sky towards the horizon. About and hour before sunset we were dressed and headed for dinner. I had made our reservation for 8:30 so we could watch the sunset on the beach. As I watched the sun come closer and closer to the earth I found my throat dry and standing became difficult. Just as it began to dip out of site I dropped to one knee and asked Monika to be my wife. I had worked out a long speech and had it memorized, but when the time came the emotions were too much and... Well, I don't really remember what I said outside of the "... please make me the happiest man in the world and marry me." She said yes! I don't think I have stopped smiling since that moment, and I don't think I ever will.
The rest of the evening is a pleasant fog to me. We had a wonderful dinner and had most of the staff stop by to congratulate us. I had called ahead to ensure a good seat by explaining the importance of the evening. We had our fill of seafood and champagne and more importantly, we had each other.
I could go on for hours and hours and not scratch the surface of how happy I am. I finally met my dream girl and she wants to spend the rest of her life with me. I never believed in fairy tales until now.
--C
(A few more pictures from our trip)
Comments
Cheers!
Sue