Postcards from the center...

One of the movie titles I always liked even though I didn't care for the movie was "Postcards from the edge". It just communicated so well in a few words a message you had a hard time to miss. "Postcards from the center" doesn't really have the same ring to it, but the message is right on for me. A good part of my life was spent drifting. Professionally I always had goals, but personally I just kinda let happen what was going to happen. In spite of a group of all star friends it always felt like I was watching life from the sidelines.

Ok... that sounds much more melodramatic than it really was, but in the whole vein of "you didn't know what you were missing until you got it." Yeah... that is me and my life right now. Life is good. Nay... Life is great. It finally feels like when I wake up in the morning I am standing smack dab in the center of my life and I am loving it. Those of you who know me, and more to the point, those of you who know GF understand why I feel this way. I just hope I don't ever forget what a lucky guy I am.

Moving on... This weekend was a whole bunch of relaxing. At least today was. Since January 6th had come and gone it was ok to pull all the Christmas decorations down and put them away for the next 11 months. I really thought it would take longer to do that, but we had it done inside of two hours. We did several loads of laundry and several loads in the dish washer. I really had no idea how many travel coffee mugs I had until I rounded them all up to be cleaned. I had to laugh when GF had them all clean and in one spot on the counter for me to put away. It might be a sign I am addicted to coffee a little too much. Might have to look into that one.

The part of the weekend I am happy about is that in spite of really really really not wanting to go to the gym yesterday (Saturday), we made it.... and I have the really sore chest and back muscles to prove it. I was *this close* to doing to much. I am sore, but I can still move. Too much more and I would be crying on Monday. And I am sure Luke would pick that day to slap me on the back to say hello. He always seems to know the wrong day to do that.

Tonight was the night at the gym that surprised me. Given that my muscles were still a tad tender I figured it would be a good night to do just cardio. I have been doing 30 minutes on the elliptical machine every night along with weights, but that much cardio has been tough. Hey... this is only the second week and I am trying to start slow. I figured tonight I would just go as long as I could and then move over to a bike to finish out an hour. No way I could do a full hour on the elliptical, let alone keep my heart rate in a respectable range. Could I? Well... turns out I could. Not only did I do my hour of intense cardio, but I actually did a little extra because I was watching a fight on TV and wanted to see it end. Granted... my legs felt like jelly when I stepped down, but still... Go Chris! According to the little cardio machine I burned 840 calories. Could you imagine if I could do this every day?!

I guess I should wrap up this 'not-so-exciting' post before I start to ramble. Weather looks to be good this week and GF and I head up for our ski trip this Thursday. I probably won't post after Wednesday until I get back.

Hope you all have a good week!

--C

Comments