A few good men...

You know the movie... "You can't "handle" the truth..." "You "want" me on that wall... You "need" me on that wall..." etc etc. That was the scene that popped into my head when I opened my mail and saw I was being summoned to serve jury duty with the federal court. Of course, like every other person who has opened this kind of letter, I groaned... But you know what? I don't mind it. We all joke about hating it and trying to get out of it... But honestly, it is our civic duty to serve. I know it sounds a little corny, but our legal system is based on having a fair trial with verdicts being handed down by a jury of your peers. If we don't serve, then our system doesn't work. I am sure I am going to bitch and moan until my day is here, but if it is anything like last time, I will wake up a little excited about having an opportunity to take part in our legal system.

The next time you get a jury summons, don't' forget that you are being given the opportunity to take part in one of the cornerstones of our country... and more importantly, take the duty seriously. You might hold somebody's future in your hands. Your decision could change the rest of their life.

And before you ask... No... I won't be on the OJ jury. His trial isn't until April and my court date is February. Too bad... Could have gotten a book deal out of it.


--C

Comments

Russell said…
I have always (twice) enjoyed and felt the civic pride in jury duty.
cg said…
last time I got called to duty I made a friend in the jury pool haha. And even though it was downtown she lived in my neighborhood, so weird!
Sid said…
I hope they send OJ to jail. Good luck with the trial.