Comprimise...

From time to time on my blog I have mentioned the incredible number of shoes that I own. Between you and me, I don't think it is that many, but the expression I see on others' faces when I say a number leads me to believe I just might be mistaken. I will accept that. I own a lot of shoes.

This past weekend GF and I went shopping for an entertainment center for my living room. While at one of the stores we stumbled across a set of bedroom furniture that we both LOVED. Since the furniture I have is actually older than I am it has been time to make a change for a while. After I figured out GF liked it as much as I did, I made the purchase. It will be delivered this Friday between 1 and 3.

While discussing how we would arrange this new furniture, we also began to discuss how we would split up the space... seeing as how she is moving in that is only right. This discussion was happening while we were headed to meet some friends for dinner.... and it continued into dinner. I know it may sound like it, but it wasn't an argument. Not at all... At one point, somebody at the table asked what I had in there... I thought about it. 9 drawers... What did I have in there? I only really use one or two of the drawers. As it dawned on me how I use that space, I could feel the color rising into my cheeks. I tried to change the subject, but it didn't happen. As the table grew silent with a pregnant pause, I sheepishly admitted that the only clothing I have in the dresser are socks.

I am not saying the other drawers are empty... I mean I have 9 drawers worth of socks! This wasn't something I planned. I didn't wake up one day and say "Hey! I want a lot of socks!" It just happened slowly over time. You know how it is... You go shopping. You buy some new socks. The old ones aren't that bad... You just move them to the next drawer. The next thing you know, you have a dresser full of socks.

After doing some quick math... 9 drawers... About 30 socks per drawer... That is about 270 socks! I had no idea... But now that I do, I want to buy 95 more pairs and go a year without ever having to wash socks... How cool would that be? Not amused? Neither was GF. Actually... that's a lie. She was laughing quite loudly at my protestations to the prospect of getting rid of some. My explaining that I could go two months without having to wash my underwear (wearing them once!) only added to her amusement.

All that being said... Here is a question... Does GoodWill or the Salvation Army take used socks and underwear? Well... socks. I would "hope" they don't take used underwear. Anybody know?

--C

Comments

missmolly said…
Obscure Information Lady located a Time Magazine article about Bill Clinton to answer your question:
http://tinyurl.com/3cz2sz

Key quote: "...a meticulous record keeper capable of itemizing underwear donations to charity."
Please tell me you own those socks in the picture, and then slowly explain what shoes go with them.
Oob said…
Are those toe socks???
Russell said…
You own more shoes than my wife. I'm not judging, I'm just saying that you own a lot of shoes.

Those are the socks from when you dress up as Rainbow Brite!
Chris said…
MissMolly: I always found it rather convenient he could not remember things that he didn't want to.

Man Of GA: Nope... Sorry. Not my socks. I did a Google image search for socks and could not resist using this image.

Oob: No idea. And no... I don't own any toe or rainbow socks.

Rusty: It is a lot of shoes. And... shut up!

--C