Another step on the "wrong" path...

If you recall my recent post "Don't you judge me...", then you can probably could have predicted what I am going to blog about now. The karaoke on the 15th (July, 2007) was at home with our own (Mel's actually) machine wired in through the big screen and stereo. Even though I was in the comfort of my own home and surrounded by friends, this didn't help my fear of singing. That being said... I still did it. If it had gone horribly horribly wrong, I could have run to my room and curled up in the fetal position until the laughing stopped.

This past Friday however, a safety net like the comfort of my own home was nowhere to be found. A group of people organized by Luke (I will never forgive you for this) all met up at a local bar that has karaoke on Saturday nights. Not only would there be complete strangers there, but also people from work. I have a pretty outstanding reputation at work. People really look up to me as a pillar of society. I can't sing in front of them... can I?

Luke had called while GF and I were at dinner on Thursday and invited us. I told him I would have to get back to him. Basically I was going to try to come up with a good reason why I couldn't make it. Maybe leprosy? Oooo.... or west nile virus. You know... something believable. Then I made the mistake of telling GF about the invite. When I saw her eyes light up, I knew plans were set. Karaoke, or "empty orchestra" as the name means, would be part of Friday night's plans. But to GF's credit, she saw my lack of enthusiasm at the prospect and promised me there would be no pressure to sing. She would run interference for me if I wanted it. I kissed her and we continued dinner.

As it often does... Friday night rolled around and we walked into the bar. Counting GF and I... and the two bartenders, there were a total of 8 people there. Hey... maybe I could sing after all. The rest of our group showed up and the local talent started to show their stuff on the microphone. There were some good songs... some bad ones... some surprising ones... and then the "when are you going to sing????" question. About that time GF stepped in and defended my honor and said I wasn't going to sing unless I wanted to. (Side note: I think this one is a keeper)

The night wore on and the drinks flowed without restraint. Outside of one unpleasant incident that I will chalk up to intoxication and won't dignify by blogging about. If he doesn't realize he acted like an ass, my pointing out won't help... Outside of that, we all had a great time. GF of course sounded great when she sang. Luke surprised the hell out of me by sounding great. Just good fun. Then GF got up to sing a song and I don't know what possessed me, but I joined her. As I turned around to see what seemed like thousands of people in the audience, I was *this close* to freezing up. But I sang. I didn't sing well... but I sang. And after I sat down and the blood drained from my face I realized it was actually fun. Below is a picture of this event that I offer up as proof that I actually did it. I apologize for the poor quality, but the camera was a phone and the picture taker a little intoxicated. :-)

GF is now gone for three weeks... Actually gets back three weeks from tomorrow (Tuesday) and I have decided that upon her return I am actually going to get up and sing a song by myself the next time we go out. With that in mind... enjoy the pictures below... I am going to practice.

--C

Comments

Anonymous said…
OK, where's the sound.....:)


Sue
Oob said…
You brave soul... Nice!!!