I offer up the following story as evidence that even those of us who are super computer literate are still sometimes idiots.
It was a dark and stormy night... Wait. Wrong story...
Today when I got home, things were about as I expected them to be. All the animals waiting patiently by the door as I walked in. House nice and cool in spite of Vegas being what feels like three steps away from the river Styx. Nothing out of the ordinary. In an effort to embrace a low carb diet and hopefully get my blood sugar under control, I grilled up a steak and enjoyed an episode of Scrubs while eating. Everything as it should be.
Then.... and then I pick up my stack of unopened mail and head into my office. I notice that Outlook is protesting that it cannot reach the mail server for ANY of my countless email addresses. When some of them are down... no big... but when I can't reach christhehotlovegod@hagood.net, I get a little twitchy.
I did all the normal stuff. Disabled and re-enabled my local area connection. I checked to make sure the chords were plugged in. I smacked the computer a few times. That has never worked, but it makes me feel better. I was at a loss. I was about to call C0x Cable to bitch about their service when I noticed that none of the lights were "blipping" on my hub. Huh... that's weird. (inner monologue there). No power to the hub. Yeah... plugged in. Then it dawns on me... I must have blown a fuse. I stand up to go find my fuse box (pretty sure it is in the garage) when I notice that one of the light switches on the wall that doesn't seem to control anything is turned off. I casually flip the switch (because casual is always the way to go in this type of situation) and I notice my little network icon changes. The little red "x" is now gone. Woo Hoo! I am a tech support GOD!
I quickly release/renew my ip connection and Outlook stops yelling at me. Outside of a frantic call for support to GF while in the fetal position, I think I handled this crisis like a man.
--C
It was a dark and stormy night... Wait. Wrong story...
Today when I got home, things were about as I expected them to be. All the animals waiting patiently by the door as I walked in. House nice and cool in spite of Vegas being what feels like three steps away from the river Styx. Nothing out of the ordinary. In an effort to embrace a low carb diet and hopefully get my blood sugar under control, I grilled up a steak and enjoyed an episode of Scrubs while eating. Everything as it should be.
Then.... and then I pick up my stack of unopened mail and head into my office. I notice that Outlook is protesting that it cannot reach the mail server for ANY of my countless email addresses. When some of them are down... no big... but when I can't reach christhehotlovegod@hagood.net, I get a little twitchy.
I did all the normal stuff. Disabled and re-enabled my local area connection. I checked to make sure the chords were plugged in. I smacked the computer a few times. That has never worked, but it makes me feel better. I was at a loss. I was about to call C0x Cable to bitch about their service when I noticed that none of the lights were "blipping" on my hub. Huh... that's weird. (inner monologue there). No power to the hub. Yeah... plugged in. Then it dawns on me... I must have blown a fuse. I stand up to go find my fuse box (pretty sure it is in the garage) when I notice that one of the light switches on the wall that doesn't seem to control anything is turned off. I casually flip the switch (because casual is always the way to go in this type of situation) and I notice my little network icon changes. The little red "x" is now gone. Woo Hoo! I am a tech support GOD!
I quickly release/renew my ip connection and Outlook stops yelling at me. Outside of a frantic call for support to GF while in the fetal position, I think I handled this crisis like a man.
--C
Comments