Note: I am not done with the vacation blog, but this needed to be posted.
What I am about to say doesn't come easy to me, but events of the day have lead me here and a guys has to do what a guy has to do. I love D@nny Gl@dwell! There I said it. Not in a gay way... by the way. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I mean... I support people's right to make their own choices. I just choose women... Wait. I am getting off topic.
Oh yeah... Right now I am feeling the love for my buddy back in GA. Wanna know why? No... not that. Here it is (sorry about this to those of y'all who hate this kind of post)... Today I beat my best ever golf score by 11 strokes!!!!! And I have my bro Danny to thank for it. The 117 holes of golf I played back in GA with him instructing me along the way really helped me turn the corner in my game. He also got me a lesson or two with a friend of his, but I only like him as a friend... Just not ready for that yet. Sheesh... why all the pressure?!
Today after work, I was joined by Luke and Nass for a round at the Las Vegas Municipal Golf Course, or "Muni" to the locals. It was about 106 when we hit off the first tee box with the sun beating us down. My first drive was glorious. I am pretty sure I heard trumpets playing as the ball soared through the heavens. My next shot... not great. The chip... good distance. The putt... really close... next putt... bogey. Not great, but a decent start considering I have never broken 100 before.
We approach the second tee. My tendency used to be to slice the ball with my driver. So if I missed, I missed right. Now I hit straight with a slight draw on the end. But if I miss, it is because I pull the ball to the left. A couple of times I have gone WAY left. Not such a big deal really, but the second hole at Muni has a vveerryy busy street running along the left side of the fairway. If you go left, you might hit a car. The drivers are rarely amused by this. So when I approached this par 5, I aimed a bit right. Ok... A LOT right... Where did my ball go? Exactly where I was aimed. right. It went far, but I was off into some trees. After my two cohorts hit their second shot we drove up to my ball. Thankfully I could at least see the green from where I was. But the green was a little over 200 yards away. I pulled out my hybrid and swung. The ball launched off my club through the trees and then I lost it. I had the right direction, the only question would be how much was left to get it to the green. To my surprise, I was only about 10 yards short of the green. I chipped within a foot of the hole. Putt... birdie. Can I get a hallelujah?!
Right about now I am pretty ef'ing happy about the game thus far, but I know it is still early. We approach the par three that is hitting over water into a corner that has roads behind it. Since I won the previous hold, I have honors. I walk up to the tee praying silently that I don't skull the ball and maim a pedestrian. This is a prayer I say every time I approach the hole. It is only about 102 yards today so I grab my pitching wedge. I hit. Beautiful shot, but a little long. The ball seems to fly a little farther here than in GA. Must have something to do with the humidity. I was on the fringe. Luke and Nass hit and we drive on over. I end up with par. Wow... three hole in and I am shooting par!
The rest of the front 9 don't go quite as good, but I did not self destruct. We played one of the holes twice since there was a slow group in front of us. I got a par on the first time around, but actually got a birdie the second time! But... Since I was playing honestly I took the par on my scorecard. I felt pretty damn good about how I was playing when we finished the front 9. As we waited to tee off on 10 I took a moment to add up my scorecard. Holy S***! I shot a 42 on the front!!!!!!!!
The back 9 didn't go as well, but it wasn't horrible. I also had some adversity to deal with. My new (like 2 month old) sand wedge broke. Nothing awful. Should be easy to fix. Just the club head came loose on me. Hard to hit straight when your club head spins. No wonder my chips started going right. haha... We also had to dodge sprinklers that came on for the last three holes. And it started getting dark to the point that if we didn't hit straight there was a better than average chance you would not find your ball. On the upside, I was hitting my driver like I needed to be on the PGA tour. It was mostly straight and going 50 yards longer than Luke and Nass. They both drive really well, but I was just on fire.
Nass had to take off after hole 12, but Luke and I finished the round... finished it in the dark actually. Before I even pulled away from the last green, I "HAD" to add up my score. Shot a 49 on the back 9. Add it up (good Violent Femmes song btw). I shot a 91!!!! As one faithful reader of this blog would say...*Happy Dance*. Not only did I break 100 for the first time, I was in shoutin' distance of breaking 90! To this point, my best honest score on a par 72 course had been 102. I didn't just beat my best score, I made it my bitch. (Sorry for the language)
While driving home I soooooo wanted to call Danny to tell him about the game, but with the clock approaching 9pm I knew he would be in bed. My many many thanks would just have to wait.
So that my friends is what has lead me to profess my non-gay love for Danny back in Georgia. Judge me not. But I highly recommend a lesson or two with him.
--C "Did I Mention 3 Birdies?" Hag00d
What I am about to say doesn't come easy to me, but events of the day have lead me here and a guys has to do what a guy has to do. I love D@nny Gl@dwell! There I said it. Not in a gay way... by the way. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I mean... I support people's right to make their own choices. I just choose women... Wait. I am getting off topic.
Oh yeah... Right now I am feeling the love for my buddy back in GA. Wanna know why? No... not that. Here it is (sorry about this to those of y'all who hate this kind of post)... Today I beat my best ever golf score by 11 strokes!!!!! And I have my bro Danny to thank for it. The 117 holes of golf I played back in GA with him instructing me along the way really helped me turn the corner in my game. He also got me a lesson or two with a friend of his, but I only like him as a friend... Just not ready for that yet. Sheesh... why all the pressure?!
Today after work, I was joined by Luke and Nass for a round at the Las Vegas Municipal Golf Course, or "Muni" to the locals. It was about 106 when we hit off the first tee box with the sun beating us down. My first drive was glorious. I am pretty sure I heard trumpets playing as the ball soared through the heavens. My next shot... not great. The chip... good distance. The putt... really close... next putt... bogey. Not great, but a decent start considering I have never broken 100 before.
We approach the second tee. My tendency used to be to slice the ball with my driver. So if I missed, I missed right. Now I hit straight with a slight draw on the end. But if I miss, it is because I pull the ball to the left. A couple of times I have gone WAY left. Not such a big deal really, but the second hole at Muni has a vveerryy busy street running along the left side of the fairway. If you go left, you might hit a car. The drivers are rarely amused by this. So when I approached this par 5, I aimed a bit right. Ok... A LOT right... Where did my ball go? Exactly where I was aimed. right. It went far, but I was off into some trees. After my two cohorts hit their second shot we drove up to my ball. Thankfully I could at least see the green from where I was. But the green was a little over 200 yards away. I pulled out my hybrid and swung. The ball launched off my club through the trees and then I lost it. I had the right direction, the only question would be how much was left to get it to the green. To my surprise, I was only about 10 yards short of the green. I chipped within a foot of the hole. Putt... birdie. Can I get a hallelujah?!
Right about now I am pretty ef'ing happy about the game thus far, but I know it is still early. We approach the par three that is hitting over water into a corner that has roads behind it. Since I won the previous hold, I have honors. I walk up to the tee praying silently that I don't skull the ball and maim a pedestrian. This is a prayer I say every time I approach the hole. It is only about 102 yards today so I grab my pitching wedge. I hit. Beautiful shot, but a little long. The ball seems to fly a little farther here than in GA. Must have something to do with the humidity. I was on the fringe. Luke and Nass hit and we drive on over. I end up with par. Wow... three hole in and I am shooting par!
The rest of the front 9 don't go quite as good, but I did not self destruct. We played one of the holes twice since there was a slow group in front of us. I got a par on the first time around, but actually got a birdie the second time! But... Since I was playing honestly I took the par on my scorecard. I felt pretty damn good about how I was playing when we finished the front 9. As we waited to tee off on 10 I took a moment to add up my scorecard. Holy S***! I shot a 42 on the front!!!!!!!!
The back 9 didn't go as well, but it wasn't horrible. I also had some adversity to deal with. My new (like 2 month old) sand wedge broke. Nothing awful. Should be easy to fix. Just the club head came loose on me. Hard to hit straight when your club head spins. No wonder my chips started going right. haha... We also had to dodge sprinklers that came on for the last three holes. And it started getting dark to the point that if we didn't hit straight there was a better than average chance you would not find your ball. On the upside, I was hitting my driver like I needed to be on the PGA tour. It was mostly straight and going 50 yards longer than Luke and Nass. They both drive really well, but I was just on fire.
Nass had to take off after hole 12, but Luke and I finished the round... finished it in the dark actually. Before I even pulled away from the last green, I "HAD" to add up my score. Shot a 49 on the back 9. Add it up (good Violent Femmes song btw). I shot a 91!!!! As one faithful reader of this blog would say...*Happy Dance*. Not only did I break 100 for the first time, I was in shoutin' distance of breaking 90! To this point, my best honest score on a par 72 course had been 102. I didn't just beat my best score, I made it my bitch. (Sorry for the language)
While driving home I soooooo wanted to call Danny to tell him about the game, but with the clock approaching 9pm I knew he would be in bed. My many many thanks would just have to wait.
So that my friends is what has lead me to profess my non-gay love for Danny back in Georgia. Judge me not. But I highly recommend a lesson or two with him.
--C "Did I Mention 3 Birdies?" Hag00d
Comments