Not just a good day... even better...

Thanks to my gracious boss and SAD, I was able to take a day off today in honor of my birthday earlier this week. Aaron had a present that would require the entire day "out of the office".

My present from Aaron... A round of golf at a course of my choice. Since we were doing it on a weekday, I decided we should get out of town a bit and play someplace new. My choice for today... Mountain Falls in Pahrump. Not so much for the location... but their web site sold me on the course. When I decided, I confirmed with Aaron and went ahead and booked it online. The total for the two of us would be $77, and I needed to pay $7 of that online as a fee for using the online booking system. (I mention the money because it comes into play later)


The day started with me getting to sleep in 3 hours later than normal. Good way to start. After a little breakfast and loading up our equipment, we took off. It was a 65 mile drive from my house so we left early early... Just in case of traffic. The drive down took us through Red Rock Canyon, and it could not have been more gorgeous. The temp around 80... Steve Miller playing, top down in the Mustang, and unbelievable scenery... Good times.


We hit Pahrump a little early so there was time to catch a quick bite before heading over to the course. About a year ago Aaron and I went off-roading in the jeep, and the trail we took dumped us off in Pahrump. By chance, we discovered this little quickie mart/cafe. While you wait on your food, you can shop around looking at t-shirts that say stuff like "I made it over the hump in Pahrump!" And hats with little bikini clad breasts on them. It really is like a wanna-be truck stop, but damn the food is good.


We sat in a little booth, eating in silence watching the parade of people living in "Small Town Nevada" come in for some lunch. It felt like everybody knew everybody else and they were happy to see each other. If it wasn't for a stark lack of trees outside, it would have felt like being out of the city a ways in Georgia.


After traveling down a few roads that were barely paved we pulled into a master planned community centered around the golf course. I would say that maybe 10% of the houses are built... so there is a lot of dirt... surrounding an impossibly green golf course. Maybe it was because we were surrounded by desert, but the green grass looked especially vibrant today. It is what I imagine an oasis looks like in the middle of the Sahara.


Put the golf shoes on, unloaded our stuff, and headed into the club house to check in. I approached the counter and said we had a tee time for 1:50 under the name Hagood. I guess the second guy behind the counter was being trained because it took two of them to check us in. Aaron waited patiently to pay as we listened to the conversation behind the counter... "Ok... you see here... This means that he booked online. So on this screen you just put in an amount due of $0. (pause) No. I know it says $70, but this little button means they booked online and already paid." At this point, Aaron shoots me a sideways glance with one eyebrow raised. I subtly shake my head and we remain silent. A little more bickering ensues behind the counter, but we are finally given our little ticket that says we are good to go. Aaron and I walk out of the clubhouse when he turns to me and says laughingly, "Did we just end up paying $3.50 per person to play?" I nod, and slaps me on the back saying "Happy Birthday!". We feel a little guilty... but not "that" guilty.


Even the warm up/practice area at the course was immaculate. Perfect grass on the driving range... Three chipping areas... And two separate practice greens. Nice... REALLY nice. Our warm up was not terrific, but not horrible. As our tee time approached we headed over to pick up a cart. Since the course was insanely busy this day, we ended up getting paired with two other guys. They were both super nice, and pretty damn funny. I would guess they were in their 50s. You know... I am yet to get paired with a jerk on the golf course. Maybe I am just lucky, or it is just that it is a sport that brings out the best in people. Either way, I prefer to keep this trend going.


My overall game today was not terrific, but the first 9 holes for me were outstanding. Had a lot of pars, and even chipped one of my balls in from off the green. I had a few drives go off the beaten path, but most of my drives were in the 250-315 yard range right down the middle. I can't say enough good things about the course either. It was in terrific condition. The grass was perfect. The greens felt like carpet. The scenery was beautiful. Even had a few waterfalls on a hole or two. This course is everything a great golf course should be.


Another nice thing was that I got to put Larry and Oksana's present to me to good use today. It is a Bushnell Laser Rangefinder. I can really get used to having this little tool in the cart with me. Of course, since it was busy Aaron and I were able to amuse ourselves by finding the distance to things like the bathroom... they guy's butt in front of us... The duck swimming in the pond... The cart girl... etc. etc.


Aaron and I both finished the day with a par on the last hole as the sun was just setting over the mountains to the west of us. Great sunset, and a great end to a very fun round of golf. We shook hands with the guys playing with us and headed back towards the car. Got everything loaded up, and headed home. Came home the northern route as a change of pace which ended up being 25 miles longer. Whoops. Rolled in just about 9. Aaron headed upstairs and I came in to write this entry. My body is exhausted and I am very much looking forward to hopping in the tub as soon as I hit publish*.


As the future days and years come and go... Today... A day of complete relaxation... will be something I look back on with good memories. It wasn't just a good day. It was a great day.

--C

*Note: I didn't realize until it was written that I mentioned Aaron going upstairs... and then mentioned my getting in the bath tub. These two events are in no way linked. My soaking with the jacuzzi jets blasting will be a solo endeavor. Just didn't want anybody to get confused there.

Comments