Feline Phenomenon...

I just witnessed something and I am not sure what to think about it. I have a feeling that it was one of those "what your pets do when you aren't looking" things, but they knew I was in the room. Hmmm....

Since I had cleaned up the rest of the house, it was time to do the most unpleasant of all the tasks. My roommates are out of town, so this task fell to me... again. (Don't get me started) I began breathing only through my mouth as I approached the litter box. The litter box shared by THREE cats. One is bad enough, but three is almost unbearable. Really this should be done every other day, but.... well it just isn't.

As I eyed my nemesis, I was pretty sure I could actually see the toxic fumes escaping the the door into the box. It was like a cartoon. A terrible terrible cartoon. I had better just get this done. I pulled the box out into the middle of the floor and popped off the top. Holy Mary and Joseph! That is disgusting! (Ok.. it wasn't *that* bad, but I really don't like poo) As I bundled up the "package", I noticed all three cats sitting in a line watching me attentively. This was nothing new. As if to say "It's about ef'ing time! We were *this* close to pooping in your shoes." Kitty litter double bagged. Check. New litter in the box. Check. Dry heaves stopped. Checked. Box put back in its inconspicuous location. Check. Silent prayer of thanks that it is over. Check. One little trip to the outside trash can and I am done.

I walked by the cats as I imagined them nodding in approval of the job I had done. Then I noticed one hopped right in the litter box, while the other two hopped up on top of the desk as if standing watch. I thought this seemed a little odd and I paused to see what happened. I should take this opportunity to mention that I was a good ten feet away from the "activities". No sick need to see what is happening in the box. That's not how I roll. About a minute later, Spike hopped out of the box with what seemed like a satisfied look on his face. He jumped onto the desk and then Angel took his turn. Same positions, just a different cat in the box. Shortly after this, Angel hopped out and Willow took her turn. Angel took her place on top of the desk. I did have a moment to wonder why they made the one girl cat go last. Guess I didn't raise well mannered cats. Probably Aaron's fault.

Finally Willow finished her business and joined her brothers on top of the desk. They sat there for a moment. Then they all sniffed each others' noses.... Then they hopped down in unison headed for the food dish. It felt choreographed.

I shook my head and began hauling the "package" out to the trash can when it hit me. What I just witnessed almost exactly paralleled when my friends would stay with me at my house back in Athens. Only instead of sitting on top of a desk (because that would just be silly), we sat around the kitchen table over cups off coffee in the morning. Once coffee had hit bottom we would eventually eat. It was the same thing. Oh.. and minus the sniffing of each others' noses. I am not real sure how I feel about that.

--C

PS. No... that isn't my cat in the picture. Mine are all jet black. I just thought this picture was cute. shut up.

Comments