Another year behind me...

If you didn't know, yesterday (03/13) was my birthday. I moved into my last year of early thirties. I turned 33. In years past, I have had a big deal made about my birthday. Heck... When I turned 30, four of my best friends descended on Vegas to surprise me. It was a terrific present! Even when the gestures are not that grand, my birthday has always been filled with good friends and family. In this way, I am blessed... and I know it.

This year, as my birthday approached I found myself not wanting to make a big deal about it. It isn't that I have some problem with getting older. I have always believed that the older you get, the wiser you get. I am always about getting wiser.

So as the b-day approached, I resisted a bit as people starting asking about plans. Of course some folks would not be deterred... And in spite of myself, I am glad. My brother and his wife surprised me at lunch by stopping by my cube with an incredible cake from Freeds Bakery. If you have never had a cake from this bakery.... you are missing out. Really... trust me... Missing out! We ended up gathering with several co-workers in a conference room and the cake was devoured. Good times.

As a gift to myself, I split from work an hour earlier than normal... And then I headed to the gym. How is that for dedication? Yay me. When I got home, I got to open some things my mother had shipped. These were some items that had belonged to my Dad. It was an outstanding gift.

Around 8, Larry stopped by the house with more gifts... And a bottle of some no very cheap champagne. I opened the gifts... Was embarrassed by how much money was spent on me... And Larry and I retired to the back yard to throw back the champagne. Unfortunately Oksana was stuck in a meeting and wasn't able to make it... So the day ended with Larry and I hanging out drinking champagne. I couldn't think of a better way to wind down my birthday.

Still some festivities on the weekend. Dinner with Larry and Oksana... And a round of golf compliments of Aaron. Can't wait.

--Chris

Comments

Oob said…
Sounds like you had a great day! Happy Birthday again! :)
Russell said…
Happy belated b-day! Sounds like you had a great one.
Anonymous said…
See? This is EXACTLY why I didn't call you to wish you a happy birthday. I didn't want to make a big deal about it, of course!