When you are a bartender (Aaron and I were both ones in college) there are certain things you get spoiled having. The big bar... the tools... unlimited ice... every bottle you would ever need... and surprisingly enough, a quality sour mix. If you just frequent bars, you know that it exists, but you don't realize how many drinks have it unless you have had to make each and every drink in the book.
I have not tended bar in about 9 years, and in spite of my constantly looking I have never found and acceptable mix. Aaron has had no luck either. If you are curious to what it tastes like... It is sorta like a less-sweet-more-sour lemonade. Not good by itself, but add just about anything to it and you have a tasty drink.
In what I am sure will be a daily trip to the market this week in preparation for the party this Saturday, Aaron I spied a sour mix neither of us had tried. So, along with enough booze to kill a mule we purchased a bottle of it (the sour mix). We couldn't just tempt fate by waiting until Saturday to give it a spin, so Aaron hopped behind the bar so we could try it.
We didn't want something too strong since we were mostly interested in trying the taste of the sour mix. So Aaron whipped up a couple Amaretto sours. (shut up) They were *this close* to being perfect. Still a little to much of a bite to the sour. We could just add more liquor, but the last thing I want is people puking all over my house this weekend. After thinking for a minute, I asked Aaron to throw in a shot of water. Taste again. PERFECT!!!! 3 parts sour to each one part water. Perfect sour mix.
With that near decade old mystery solved, we moved on to another favorite pass time. Coming up with our own drink to name. Every possible combination of booze is out there and already has a name, but we don't really care. If it isn't a standard drink we know off the top of our heads and we re-discover the mix we get to name it. Past concoctions: Long Island Sunset. Sweet Tart. Bloody Smurf. Shirley Tremble. and Aaron's fav... Swamp Water.
If you ever come to a bar we work at (not likely other than this Saturday), and you want something that tastes good but are not sure what you want... You can just order by color. If Aaron didn't know a drink back in the day when somebody ordered, he would just ask what color it was.
To add a little more kick to what we already had, Sky vodka was added. Still good. Couldn't tell anything had even been added. Lastly we added some Midori since we both dig the taste. Awesome! And it turned a bright bright (nuclear radioactive) green. The WMD was quickly named. This is what I am sipping on as I write this... and the screen is suddenly getting a little blurry. Hmmm.... maybe this drink isn't a good idea for Saturday.
--C
PS. If you are reading this and didn't get an invite to the party, please tell me because it was purely an oversight. Drop me an email and you will get an evite. :-)
I have not tended bar in about 9 years, and in spite of my constantly looking I have never found and acceptable mix. Aaron has had no luck either. If you are curious to what it tastes like... It is sorta like a less-sweet-more-sour lemonade. Not good by itself, but add just about anything to it and you have a tasty drink.
In what I am sure will be a daily trip to the market this week in preparation for the party this Saturday, Aaron I spied a sour mix neither of us had tried. So, along with enough booze to kill a mule we purchased a bottle of it (the sour mix). We couldn't just tempt fate by waiting until Saturday to give it a spin, so Aaron hopped behind the bar so we could try it.
We didn't want something too strong since we were mostly interested in trying the taste of the sour mix. So Aaron whipped up a couple Amaretto sours. (shut up) They were *this close* to being perfect. Still a little to much of a bite to the sour. We could just add more liquor, but the last thing I want is people puking all over my house this weekend. After thinking for a minute, I asked Aaron to throw in a shot of water. Taste again. PERFECT!!!! 3 parts sour to each one part water. Perfect sour mix.
With that near decade old mystery solved, we moved on to another favorite pass time. Coming up with our own drink to name. Every possible combination of booze is out there and already has a name, but we don't really care. If it isn't a standard drink we know off the top of our heads and we re-discover the mix we get to name it. Past concoctions: Long Island Sunset. Sweet Tart. Bloody Smurf. Shirley Tremble. and Aaron's fav... Swamp Water.
If you ever come to a bar we work at (not likely other than this Saturday), and you want something that tastes good but are not sure what you want... You can just order by color. If Aaron didn't know a drink back in the day when somebody ordered, he would just ask what color it was.
To add a little more kick to what we already had, Sky vodka was added. Still good. Couldn't tell anything had even been added. Lastly we added some Midori since we both dig the taste. Awesome! And it turned a bright bright (nuclear radioactive) green. The WMD was quickly named. This is what I am sipping on as I write this... and the screen is suddenly getting a little blurry. Hmmm.... maybe this drink isn't a good idea for Saturday.
--C
PS. If you are reading this and didn't get an invite to the party, please tell me because it was purely an oversight. Drop me an email and you will get an evite. :-)
Comments