"The Day After..." isn't necessarily the correct term. Maybe "The Tuesday After..." would work a bit better.
So the big shin-dig (where did that term even come from) was this past Saturday. I won't lie, it was great. Had some good friends over.. made some new friends... and hopefully did not ruin my relationship with the neighbors. If I hold to my current streak of one big party every 10 years, I am thinking they might speak to me sometime in late '09.
As Aaron and I surveyed the damage to the house (from a clean up perspective, not a destruction perspective) late Sunday afternoon, outside of a slight headache I was surprised to find myself having several conflicting emotions. I was happy the party came off well and without much (if any) drama. That is a good thing when gallons of booze are consumed by 30+ people. I felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulder. This one really surprised me. I had been looking forward to this for a couple months, but I guess there was some stress involved too. I was a little sad it was over. Big build up and then over...
I have touched on this subject before, and I know this is something that happens after a big event, but damn if it doesn't catch me off guard every time. Aaron and I took to picking up all the dead soldiers from around the house and discussing the events of the night prior. As typically happens with Aaron, there were a lot of laughs and a good bit of picking on each other. There were also the "I said/did what?!?" while shaking of the heads ensued. (not sure if I used that word correctly, but I don't feel like checking right now)
Either way the conversation went as we picked up trash and cleaned the bar, it was still a good party... and it was still over. Things happened as planned, some not as planned, some of the food never made it out of the pantry, others were gone almost instantly. It is funny how so much planning can go into something that seems to have only lasted a moment in time. Don't get me wrong, I am not looking to throw another one of these anytime soon, but still just a little melancholy now that it is over. Who wants to throw the next party?
Couple important stats or not-very-important tid-bits of info... or something learned:
So the big shin-dig (where did that term even come from) was this past Saturday. I won't lie, it was great. Had some good friends over.. made some new friends... and hopefully did not ruin my relationship with the neighbors. If I hold to my current streak of one big party every 10 years, I am thinking they might speak to me sometime in late '09.
As Aaron and I surveyed the damage to the house (from a clean up perspective, not a destruction perspective) late Sunday afternoon, outside of a slight headache I was surprised to find myself having several conflicting emotions. I was happy the party came off well and without much (if any) drama. That is a good thing when gallons of booze are consumed by 30+ people. I felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulder. This one really surprised me. I had been looking forward to this for a couple months, but I guess there was some stress involved too. I was a little sad it was over. Big build up and then over...
I have touched on this subject before, and I know this is something that happens after a big event, but damn if it doesn't catch me off guard every time. Aaron and I took to picking up all the dead soldiers from around the house and discussing the events of the night prior. As typically happens with Aaron, there were a lot of laughs and a good bit of picking on each other. There were also the "I said/did what?!?" while shaking of the heads ensued. (not sure if I used that word correctly, but I don't feel like checking right now)
Either way the conversation went as we picked up trash and cleaned the bar, it was still a good party... and it was still over. Things happened as planned, some not as planned, some of the food never made it out of the pantry, others were gone almost instantly. It is funny how so much planning can go into something that seems to have only lasted a moment in time. Don't get me wrong, I am not looking to throw another one of these anytime soon, but still just a little melancholy now that it is over. Who wants to throw the next party?
Couple important stats or not-very-important tid-bits of info... or something learned:
- Like I said, my best guess is roughly 30-35 people
- Apparently my cats do NOT like being put in the laundry room when they can here that much activity downstairs. Fur all over the room is evidence of this.
- For some reason, there are still about 20 jello shots hanging out in the fridge just begging to be consumed. (Could not figure out if the right term would be "to drink the jello shot" or "to eat the jello shot". "Consumed" seemed the safe bet.)
- As the time to the party got shorter, it also seemed to speed up.
- The DJ was great and spun an extra 3 hours for just a little more money.
- Apparently pretzels left out can stay crunchy for at least three days. Will have to keep my eye on this one.
- My cats like pretzels
- If you are going to provide liquor, you don't have to buy nearly as much beer as you think you will.
- Lock your office door or frisky party-goers might decide to make time in there.
- Personalities can change when you aren't in the office. Some more than others.
- Or it might just be the booze.
- Incomplete list of booze consumed: 2 gallons Captain Morgan, 2 gallons and a fifth of Vodka, a fifth of Amaretto, a fifth of Jack, a fifth or Beam, a bottle (smaller than a fifth, bigger than a pint) of Midori, a gallon of Coconut rum, a fifth of Gin, a gallon of green apple liquor, three bottles of wine, and at least 2 cases of beer.
- I might have watered the wall at some point late late late into the morning hours.
- Receiving housewarming gifts felt a little weird. I felt like people coming to the party were doing their part by being there.
- Rubbermaid bins don't hold in the cold as well as a real cooler.
- Hawaiian BBQ is awesome the day after. Evening after to be precise. Thanks Mel!
- Parking turned out to not be the problem I thought it would be. Of course I only wandered out front once early in the evening.
- I really missed some of the people who couldn't make it.
- Aaron and I need to resurrect the water in a Vodka bottle to keep behind the bar.
- Olives smell horrible when you clean them out of the bar rack the day (night) after.
- Nascar is on Sunday for a reason. It is great to watch when moving off the couch is not an option.
- I have said many silent prayers thanking the good lord I don't have carpet downstairs.
- The OnTheLot film submission seemed to be well received.
- Watching the film was a good motivator to keep going to the gym.
I didn't mean for this entry to end in bullets, but you see what happened. Time for bed.
Goodnight my friends...
--C
Comments
-LF