Today my saga of preventing damage to my credit continued. Granted, most of this was in the form of telling the story over and over and over and over and over again at work. The more the topic was discussed, the more I realized what a crime-infested place gym locker rooms are.... With the local YMCA ranking among the worst offenders. I discovered many other people I know or people they know have had similar problems at this gym. There are several people in my group that are members, but along with me they are going to cancel their membership. That makes me feel a bit better. If a business is not going to take steps to protect their customers, they don't deserve the business.
The charge against my corporate checking account has not posted yet, so that is my one remaining charge to deal with. Spank of America has told me they can't do anything until it clears and the $$ is deducted from my account. This seems like a completely backward way of dealing with the problem, but the rule is there so I will follow it.
My SAD (senior application developer) that I work with/for was nice enough to let me cut out of work a little early to take care of things. The police station is not in the best part of town and I wanted to get there and be gone before the sun went down. While I think it would be highly ironic to get my truck broken into while getting a police report on a different theft, I didn't want to deal with it. First stop... YMCA to get a copy of the report from last night and to cancel my membership. The two guys I talked to while I was there apologized profusely, and tried to talk me out of cancelling. My response was "Thanks. Not good enough." I then explained that as long as they don't take steps to remedy their crime problem I would make it my mission to make sure nobody I know joins that gym. They were not pleased by my attitude, but I said I was open to changing my opinion should they ever take the necessary steps. Since being a member, the price has gone up, theft has increased, and the facilities are always under construction. LVAC (las vegas athletic club) here I come.
My trip to the police station was without incident and I now have my report. Yay! Go cops!!!!
I also got a funny little text message from somebody that I have never met in person or talked with on the phone. It made me smile and my thanks go out to this person. You know who you are.
I am not too worried about getting charged for anything or my credit getting trashed, but the fact that nobody seems to care has left me amazed. The CC companies are out the money and they don't plan on doing anything about this. The police were extremely nice, but they too don't plan on dedicating any resources to this. Somehow with no ID or any PINs, the casinos seemed ok to give out my cash with what I can only guess was no questions asked. They don't seem to care. All I have lost here is a few evenings to straighten the mess out, and "I" seem to be the only party who gives a $h1t about it. Here is a question... Where is the deterrent for the criminals? Nobody seems to be trying to stop or catch them. This was very easy once they got the cards. $10k for a couple hours worth of work. Hell, that is better than a Java guy in 1998. (sorry for the geek slipping through there). Maybe I need to look into this as a side job.... (shaking my head in silence) Sigh... oh well...
Tomorrow I am going to try to get back to my normal life and put this behind me. I don't want to put my SAD through another day of having to listen to me complain about this over and over and over and over again. January has been a strange month for everyone I know. Fortunately it will all be over tomorrow night and it will be behind us.
Other than trying to get back to a normal routine. Here are the next steps I am considering:
The charge against my corporate checking account has not posted yet, so that is my one remaining charge to deal with. Spank of America has told me they can't do anything until it clears and the $$ is deducted from my account. This seems like a completely backward way of dealing with the problem, but the rule is there so I will follow it.
My SAD (senior application developer) that I work with/for was nice enough to let me cut out of work a little early to take care of things. The police station is not in the best part of town and I wanted to get there and be gone before the sun went down. While I think it would be highly ironic to get my truck broken into while getting a police report on a different theft, I didn't want to deal with it. First stop... YMCA to get a copy of the report from last night and to cancel my membership. The two guys I talked to while I was there apologized profusely, and tried to talk me out of cancelling. My response was "Thanks. Not good enough." I then explained that as long as they don't take steps to remedy their crime problem I would make it my mission to make sure nobody I know joins that gym. They were not pleased by my attitude, but I said I was open to changing my opinion should they ever take the necessary steps. Since being a member, the price has gone up, theft has increased, and the facilities are always under construction. LVAC (las vegas athletic club) here I come.
My trip to the police station was without incident and I now have my report. Yay! Go cops!!!!
I also got a funny little text message from somebody that I have never met in person or talked with on the phone. It made me smile and my thanks go out to this person. You know who you are.
I am not too worried about getting charged for anything or my credit getting trashed, but the fact that nobody seems to care has left me amazed. The CC companies are out the money and they don't plan on doing anything about this. The police were extremely nice, but they too don't plan on dedicating any resources to this. Somehow with no ID or any PINs, the casinos seemed ok to give out my cash with what I can only guess was no questions asked. They don't seem to care. All I have lost here is a few evenings to straighten the mess out, and "I" seem to be the only party who gives a $h1t about it. Here is a question... Where is the deterrent for the criminals? Nobody seems to be trying to stop or catch them. This was very easy once they got the cards. $10k for a couple hours worth of work. Hell, that is better than a Java guy in 1998. (sorry for the geek slipping through there). Maybe I need to look into this as a side job.... (shaking my head in silence) Sigh... oh well...
Tomorrow I am going to try to get back to my normal life and put this behind me. I don't want to put my SAD through another day of having to listen to me complain about this over and over and over and over again. January has been a strange month for everyone I know. Fortunately it will all be over tomorrow night and it will be behind us.
Other than trying to get back to a normal routine. Here are the next steps I am considering:
- Write letters to the local YMCA as well as the main office.
- Probably complain about this at least one more time in my blog (sorry about that)
- Assure my Mom for the 10th time I really am ok and not suffering from post-traumatic-crime disorder
- Write a letter to the following casinos to complain about how easy it was to get money there: Wynn, Bellagio, Circus Circus, and the Stratophere
- Document every step I have taken so I can talk Aaron into getting his news station to do a story on it.
Now it is time for bed with the hopes that when I wake up tomorrow I care less about this than I do now.
G'night all...
-C
Comments