What time is it?...

As the alarm went off, I thought to myself "This can't be right. I must have set it incorrectly." Just after smacking the snooze button with such force that the guy who made the alarm probably felt it, my cell phone goes off. I peer through my sleepy eyes to see who in the heck is calling me at 3:40am I notice the "888" number that must be Orbitz. I prepare myself for the computer voice that is most likely going greet me when I hit the talk button. Sure enough, it is Orbitz calling to let me know that my Mom's flight home is on time. I sigh inwardly and try to manage the will power to move my legs from the comforting warmth of the covers to the harsh chill of the early morning. "Who had the bright idea of putting Mom on a 6:40 am flight anyway?!!!... Oh yeah... me. (a$$h0le)"

I turn on the light and silently curse Edison while looking for the TV remote. As I flip on the TV I am horrified to realize that I am awake before the morning news is on. NBC is still showing "late night" programming. This just isn't right. Not right I tell you. I stumble on down the hallway that seems to be longer on the early mornings to get a shower and hopefully wake up. Amazing how a blast of cold water hitting you because you forgot to turn the shower head can wake you up in the morning.

The rest of the morning (up till this point) went well... Had some coffee (a lot of coffee) and got Mom and her BF to the airport on time and safe. In fact... As I type this, they are probably in line to hop on the plane. I don't envy them the cross country journey that lay before them. I am at work and do need to earn my money so just a couple highlights/thoughts about their visit over the Christmas weekend.
  • Never try to tell an ex-military man how to cut potatoes.
  • Apparently in Europe to whistle inside is bad luck... and if you are in American and you point it out it isn't rude.
  • I got some great gifts and had a wonderful holiday with family and friends.
  • A side project I am working on was featured in Barrons over the weekend.
  • Plain oatmeal tastes much better with some pecans in it. (Ok... I "just" learned that, but it seemed worth mentioning)
  • My skills on the pool table are getting pretty dang good quickly. It might be about time to head out to a pool hall so I can become humble again.
  • My cats are 1 part nice... 10 parts evil.
  • It is good to be back at work where I can relax for a while.
I will post more later... or maybe tomorrow, but I hope you all had a great Christmas.

--C

Comments

Oob said…
What about whistling on a train? Can I tell the conductor that it's rude to do this for the entirety of the commute??? Please?

Sounds like you had a great visit! Hope you get some rest soon.