I just got done watching Thank You for Smoking and loved it! During the debates about smoking vs. non-smoking I found myself following each scene with "Hell Yeah!". The movie doesn't try to hide the possible affects of smoking, the core argument is one of personal responsibility. I don't want to go into politics here. It isn't what this blog is about, and I am not that good at voicing my opinion, but every time the government expands to take over an issue it fails. The problem seems to end up bigger than when the govt was minding its own business.
Do I think smoking is bad? Yes. Is it up the govt to take the pack out of my hands? No. It is odd timing to watch the movie because there are two anti-smoking initiatives on the ballot this week here in Vegas. I think one of the two will pass and I see it as just another grab at personal freedoms. Basically they are bills to ban smoking in restaurants and bars that sell food. How pompous of the govt to tell a small business owner how to run his business. If he/she wants to allow smoking... fine. If you hate smoking, THEN DON'T EAT THERE! If you are a waitress and don't like smoke, DON'T WORK THERE! But if you want to ban smoking, better go ahead and ban booze also... And larger food orders at the fast food drive through. sigh... govt... here me? Just quit telling adults what they can and can't do.
--C
Do I think smoking is bad? Yes. Is it up the govt to take the pack out of my hands? No. It is odd timing to watch the movie because there are two anti-smoking initiatives on the ballot this week here in Vegas. I think one of the two will pass and I see it as just another grab at personal freedoms. Basically they are bills to ban smoking in restaurants and bars that sell food. How pompous of the govt to tell a small business owner how to run his business. If he/she wants to allow smoking... fine. If you hate smoking, THEN DON'T EAT THERE! If you are a waitress and don't like smoke, DON'T WORK THERE! But if you want to ban smoking, better go ahead and ban booze also... And larger food orders at the fast food drive through. sigh... govt... here me? Just quit telling adults what they can and can't do.
--C
Comments