In keeping with my promise to myself to unpack at least one box a night, I pulled a box to work on shortly after getting home. It was another box of photo albums. Being the son of a professional photographer, I guess I should not have been surprised.
Each album was again pretty much centered around a year in the life of the Hagood family. Was I ever that young? One of these albums was from 1995. In this album I stumbled across pictures of what I guess I should refer to as the "original 'ex'-factor". I had 'ex'-factors before, but this was the first one that actually felt like love. That is of course assuming that I know what "love" is. Jury still out on that one.
Ok... sitting down for this one. This is the girl I was engaged to for about seven months. It's ok... You can take a moment to re-read that. I will wait. Done? Good... moving on.
Several of the people who read this blog will not be surprised by that fact. You were probably part of the huge group-dog-pile-on-Chris when it was announced of the PA system one fine late summer morning.
Those of you who didn't know me back when.... SURPRISE!
I won't go into the gory details of how it began or ended (badly). Just suffice it to say it was a special time in my life and brought to me a range of emotions I never realized I was capable of before. I remember vividly the absolute joy and the horrible pain that was a part of my life back in '95. Remembering that range made the complete void of feelings very odd as I gazed on the memory recorded for all time on Kodak paper. Shouldn't I feel sad? Shouldn't I get a memory of the affection I once had? Nothing.
There were not that many pictures. I flipped through the pages and traveled back to the time when I took OEF (original 'ex'-factor) to Pennsylvania to meet my parents. It was an odd trip. I remember being there for several days, but for the life of me I cannot remember what any of those days held for us.
It seems that the further along the timeline of our life we travel, the more two dimensional the memories become. Eventually, they are nothing more than a picture in a forgotten photo album packed in the back of the closet. Gone until the next time I have to unpack a box.
--C
PS.... Ok... FINE! I will post one of the pictures from 11 year ago.
Each album was again pretty much centered around a year in the life of the Hagood family. Was I ever that young? One of these albums was from 1995. In this album I stumbled across pictures of what I guess I should refer to as the "original 'ex'-factor". I had 'ex'-factors before, but this was the first one that actually felt like love. That is of course assuming that I know what "love" is. Jury still out on that one.
Ok... sitting down for this one. This is the girl I was engaged to for about seven months. It's ok... You can take a moment to re-read that. I will wait. Done? Good... moving on.
Several of the people who read this blog will not be surprised by that fact. You were probably part of the huge group-dog-pile-on-Chris when it was announced of the PA system one fine late summer morning.
Those of you who didn't know me back when.... SURPRISE!
I won't go into the gory details of how it began or ended (badly). Just suffice it to say it was a special time in my life and brought to me a range of emotions I never realized I was capable of before. I remember vividly the absolute joy and the horrible pain that was a part of my life back in '95. Remembering that range made the complete void of feelings very odd as I gazed on the memory recorded for all time on Kodak paper. Shouldn't I feel sad? Shouldn't I get a memory of the affection I once had? Nothing.
There were not that many pictures. I flipped through the pages and traveled back to the time when I took OEF (original 'ex'-factor) to Pennsylvania to meet my parents. It was an odd trip. I remember being there for several days, but for the life of me I cannot remember what any of those days held for us.
It seems that the further along the timeline of our life we travel, the more two dimensional the memories become. Eventually, they are nothing more than a picture in a forgotten photo album packed in the back of the closet. Gone until the next time I have to unpack a box.
--C
PS.... Ok... FINE! I will post one of the pictures from 11 year ago.
Comments
I still run into her brother every now and then, He works around the corner from the house.