It started a little over three years ago, closer to four than three now, when I moved into my first house. I was very excited, but found myself ill-prepared for home maintenance. I always kinda figured there would be a number I could call when something in my home went all hinky. After all, that is how it works in apartments.
A few months after I moved in, the sliding glass door to my backyard started to not work so good. Kind of a pain, but I dealt with. Over the next several years, every time I walked outside I would think to myself that I really should try to fix that. Worse it got.
When it came time to sell the house, I actually got a quote on having the door replaced. Turns out that I sold the house "as-is" before I ever got around to fixing the door. Somebody had told me to buy some silica dry lubricant (shut up) and try that after vacuuming out the track. About five months ago I bought the spray, but never got around to bringing the vacuum down stairs and plugging it in.
The door is to the point that you pretty much have to lift it in order to get it to "slide" (not really a slide) open. This little act takes a fair amount of physical strength, it being a big glass door and all. After watching my Mom struggle with this for a day, I mentioned the remedy that I had been told. Her question to me was to inquire what I was waiting for. um... That's why I bought a new house. ;-) She was not amused... While she watched with her hands on her hips I walked the 7 feet to where the spray was located. (See... I was prepared.) Figured I would give the spray a try before trying to clean the track.
Sigh... the door now works like new. I am an idiot. Mom makes fun of me every time the door opens. Now you can too.
--C
A few months after I moved in, the sliding glass door to my backyard started to not work so good. Kind of a pain, but I dealt with. Over the next several years, every time I walked outside I would think to myself that I really should try to fix that. Worse it got.
When it came time to sell the house, I actually got a quote on having the door replaced. Turns out that I sold the house "as-is" before I ever got around to fixing the door. Somebody had told me to buy some silica dry lubricant (shut up) and try that after vacuuming out the track. About five months ago I bought the spray, but never got around to bringing the vacuum down stairs and plugging it in.
The door is to the point that you pretty much have to lift it in order to get it to "slide" (not really a slide) open. This little act takes a fair amount of physical strength, it being a big glass door and all. After watching my Mom struggle with this for a day, I mentioned the remedy that I had been told. Her question to me was to inquire what I was waiting for. um... That's why I bought a new house. ;-) She was not amused... While she watched with her hands on her hips I walked the 7 feet to where the spray was located. (See... I was prepared.) Figured I would give the spray a try before trying to clean the track.
Sigh... the door now works like new. I am an idiot. Mom makes fun of me every time the door opens. Now you can too.
--C
Comments