As I walked out of my building after a typical day of doing outstanding work, I was met with a summer breeze that to me seemed soft only because I have lived in Las Vegas for more than a few summers. To those not acclimated to our desert weather, the breeze might have felt more like a gale.
I walked through the courtyard letting the warmth roll over my body and back into itself on the other side and let my mind go. This is a walk that I have made over a thousand times and if it was required I could do it in my sleep. The accents of the desert landscaping molded in with the modern buildings struck me as oddly fitting in spite of their different origins. Man and nature finding just the right balance on the site of a water resource utility in the desert. The irony of working for a water company in the desert tickles me again and I chuckle through my stroll to the car.
Familiar smells and sounds greet me along the way. The sound of the metal rolling door lightly tapping the frame it conceals. The sound of a traffic helicopter passing overhead in an effort to help drivers navigate their way home to their families.
As I see a lizard scurry across the path I keep an eye out for one of the two road runners that call our campus home. They have been gone for a while, probably to a more fruitful hunting ground, but I look for them just the same.
Like I have many times before I reach for my badge that represents my finishing a day rather that just letting me out the gate. I walk past a few co-workers chatting about something. I try not to listen. I succeed. My journey to my car marches on.
The clock having pushed past five in the evening means that the parking lot is littered with a small number of cars. Cars I pass every day and wonder about the people who drive them. There are cars I admire and ones that remind me of what it was to be a starving college student. I ponder the boiling temperature some people have to endure for it is quite obvious a few of these vehicles can not possibly have air conditioning. Perhaps that would explain the later work ours. Let the sun voyage over the horizon and to bed for another night and let the heat follow.
I finally make it to where those of us not titled "permanent" must park. The walk is not too far, and like most days I have enjoyed the path I have beaten down for years. The rumble of my engine is soothing and I decide to leave the radio off as I wait for my top to go down. As is often the case, my thoughts are comforting and intriguing tonight and not ready to be chased away by my satellite radio.
My plans for the evening roll through my mind as my car rolls through the church parking lot I must navigate to exit our lot. I sit and wait for traffic that seems unusually heavy. Again, as the breeze blows through me I remember that I have nowhere I have to be and the added time waiting for an opening in traffic just doesn't enter into the same room as the big picture.
As I begin to make my u-turn required to get headed into the right direction, I notice a good friend speeding down the road in my direction. I have the horsepower to make my turn and accelerate to speed before she would even have to think about engaging the brake. Most days would have seen me do this and be on my way. Today however, I just waited and pulled out behind her.
We are cruising at speed down the street with me trailing not too far behind. I see my turn ahead and begin to slow. My trip down the road following my friend was about to end. We approach the stop light that has favored us with a color green that tells us to go. Wait! What the hell is that?! A car is trying to make a turn before my friend.
Before I know it, both cars have collided and I am trying to simultaneously park, call 911, and run to my friend. Fear climbs into my throat as I approach the side of the car. The pleasantness of my evening is but a memory and I am there to do what I can. My friend is ok and for that I am grateful. The speed at which life can turn us around constantly amazes me. Enjoy the time you have and enjoy the simple pleasures. You never know when that other car will turn in front of you and possibly take the time you have left.
--C
Note: Before you ask, my friend really is fine. I am sure she will be sore tomorrow, and the pain of loosing that beautiful car will linger on. The other person involved is also fine and there was never any doubt who was at fault. This entry is the narrative that leads to the pictures below.
I walked through the courtyard letting the warmth roll over my body and back into itself on the other side and let my mind go. This is a walk that I have made over a thousand times and if it was required I could do it in my sleep. The accents of the desert landscaping molded in with the modern buildings struck me as oddly fitting in spite of their different origins. Man and nature finding just the right balance on the site of a water resource utility in the desert. The irony of working for a water company in the desert tickles me again and I chuckle through my stroll to the car.
Familiar smells and sounds greet me along the way. The sound of the metal rolling door lightly tapping the frame it conceals. The sound of a traffic helicopter passing overhead in an effort to help drivers navigate their way home to their families.
As I see a lizard scurry across the path I keep an eye out for one of the two road runners that call our campus home. They have been gone for a while, probably to a more fruitful hunting ground, but I look for them just the same.
Like I have many times before I reach for my badge that represents my finishing a day rather that just letting me out the gate. I walk past a few co-workers chatting about something. I try not to listen. I succeed. My journey to my car marches on.
The clock having pushed past five in the evening means that the parking lot is littered with a small number of cars. Cars I pass every day and wonder about the people who drive them. There are cars I admire and ones that remind me of what it was to be a starving college student. I ponder the boiling temperature some people have to endure for it is quite obvious a few of these vehicles can not possibly have air conditioning. Perhaps that would explain the later work ours. Let the sun voyage over the horizon and to bed for another night and let the heat follow.
I finally make it to where those of us not titled "permanent" must park. The walk is not too far, and like most days I have enjoyed the path I have beaten down for years. The rumble of my engine is soothing and I decide to leave the radio off as I wait for my top to go down. As is often the case, my thoughts are comforting and intriguing tonight and not ready to be chased away by my satellite radio.
My plans for the evening roll through my mind as my car rolls through the church parking lot I must navigate to exit our lot. I sit and wait for traffic that seems unusually heavy. Again, as the breeze blows through me I remember that I have nowhere I have to be and the added time waiting for an opening in traffic just doesn't enter into the same room as the big picture.
As I begin to make my u-turn required to get headed into the right direction, I notice a good friend speeding down the road in my direction. I have the horsepower to make my turn and accelerate to speed before she would even have to think about engaging the brake. Most days would have seen me do this and be on my way. Today however, I just waited and pulled out behind her.
We are cruising at speed down the street with me trailing not too far behind. I see my turn ahead and begin to slow. My trip down the road following my friend was about to end. We approach the stop light that has favored us with a color green that tells us to go. Wait! What the hell is that?! A car is trying to make a turn before my friend.
Before I know it, both cars have collided and I am trying to simultaneously park, call 911, and run to my friend. Fear climbs into my throat as I approach the side of the car. The pleasantness of my evening is but a memory and I am there to do what I can. My friend is ok and for that I am grateful. The speed at which life can turn us around constantly amazes me. Enjoy the time you have and enjoy the simple pleasures. You never know when that other car will turn in front of you and possibly take the time you have left.
--C
Note: Before you ask, my friend really is fine. I am sure she will be sore tomorrow, and the pain of loosing that beautiful car will linger on. The other person involved is also fine and there was never any doubt who was at fault. This entry is the narrative that leads to the pictures below.
Comments
Buy Runescape Gold
Cheap Runescape Gold