Most of us go through life thinking we are who we are and that is the end of story. When you meet somebody new, how do you act? When you are at work, how do you act? When you are ordering something over the phone, how do you act? When you drive to work, how do you act? When you are on a first date, how do you act? When you are watching football with a college buddy, how do you act?
Do any of these situations influence the way you interact with those around you? Are you just reacting differently because of different situations or are you different because you think that is the person you need to be at that time. I would like to say that I can speak for everybody here, but I cannot. I can only tell you what I know (or think I know) and what I can see (or think I see).
On the way to work, I have multiple personality disorder. Sometimes I just cruise to work with not a care in the world mindlessly listening to either my iPod or my XM. When that a$$hole in the shitty BMW cuts me off personality number two shows up. BMW a-hole must die! When I get to work, there is a transformation that takes place. I have clothes for work, but I also have a personality for work. A well defined personality. Over the years you discover what people react positively towards and then you try to be like that. People who don't get ahead professionally refuse to learn this lesson.
When my phone rings (not telemarketers... that personality is set permanently on kill) I get just that much nicer.
When I am watching GA football with Aaron, all the others sluff off and I am me. or at least as close to me as others can see.
The mask we put on every day. Is it because we feel like we have to, or is it that you are pretending to be who you want to be but just aren't there yet? What is wrong with the real you? Do you know who that is anymore or are you only left with the images of what you think you should be?
--C
Point of interest: What prompted the above post was not some personal strife... or personal realization. Nothing that profound. I was born out of a discussion I hear regarding celebrities and who they are in real life.
Do any of these situations influence the way you interact with those around you? Are you just reacting differently because of different situations or are you different because you think that is the person you need to be at that time. I would like to say that I can speak for everybody here, but I cannot. I can only tell you what I know (or think I know) and what I can see (or think I see).
On the way to work, I have multiple personality disorder. Sometimes I just cruise to work with not a care in the world mindlessly listening to either my iPod or my XM. When that a$$hole in the shitty BMW cuts me off personality number two shows up. BMW a-hole must die! When I get to work, there is a transformation that takes place. I have clothes for work, but I also have a personality for work. A well defined personality. Over the years you discover what people react positively towards and then you try to be like that. People who don't get ahead professionally refuse to learn this lesson.
When my phone rings (not telemarketers... that personality is set permanently on kill) I get just that much nicer.
When I am watching GA football with Aaron, all the others sluff off and I am me. or at least as close to me as others can see.
The mask we put on every day. Is it because we feel like we have to, or is it that you are pretending to be who you want to be but just aren't there yet? What is wrong with the real you? Do you know who that is anymore or are you only left with the images of what you think you should be?
--C
Point of interest: What prompted the above post was not some personal strife... or personal realization. Nothing that profound. I was born out of a discussion I hear regarding celebrities and who they are in real life.
Comments