In an effort to get some stories out there before they come back to haunt me, here is another. Read it quickly because I am sure I will do multiple posts tomorrow in order to push it down the page.
When I moved to Vegas things were good money wise, but everything else in my life was definitely on a down swing. Been let go for the first and only time. What made it worse is because I wasn't let go because of lack of ability or doing a bad job. I was let go because I was viewed as a threat. That is funny because I had no plans to stay long term if it wasn't going to work out. Either way, my confidence was shaken a bit. I was also about the heaviest I had ever been. Over 400lbs. Don't get me wrong; I was sexy, but my health was suspect.
Shortly after moooooving here and starting work I got an invitation to my 10 year high school reunion. Given how I was feeling about myself I did not plan on attending. About a month into my job I joined a gym. Figured that would fall flat like it always had. A few days after joining I caught a stomach virus that really knocked me on my a$$. After four or five days my brother finally dragged me to a doctor. The doctor really let me have it. To sum things up, he told me that with my current lifestyle I should have already had my mid-life crisis. Ouch.
After a few days of self pity I got a call from the gym to set up my free training session that I got with my membership. What the hell? I went. Hopped on the scale and with the help of my stomach bug I had lost about 15lbs in about as many days. I don't know what happened, but something in my head clicked and I decided to really give getting healthy a shot. Actually that isn't true. I figured I would fail, but I just started by taking things one day at a time. My friend Danny was doing the same thing as me but he had started several months before me. I also had the hots for my trainer which didn't hurt. Fortunately I did not find out she had a boyfriend until a while later. (At this point, mention of my trainer will be omitted... if you want to know why, then you will just have to send me an email.)
Time went on and weight kept dropping off at a super fast rate. I mailed in my acceptance of the invitation to the High School reunion. I had 6 months to keep things up. Things just kept going great. By reunion time I had lost 80lbs and was feeling/looking great. I even went out and bought a new suit for the occasion. Nothing else fit anymore.
My buddy Aaron was having a birthday party around the time of the reunion so I figured I would make a trip of it and just spend a little over a week there. As I looked for plane tickets things weren't cheap and I was having second thoughts about taking that much time off of work. I am a consultant after all. So I bought my ticket and was all kinds of ready to go.
Flew to GA and spent time catching up with old friends. Aaron's b-day party was a blast and a good time was had by all. The next day I got in my rental car and drove to Augusta. Checked into the hotel and took a nap. Showered... got dressed. Admired myself in the new suit. Headed off to the reunion. Directions were not great, but I got there. As I sat in the parking lot, I was watching people enter the establishment. They did not look my age or like anybody from high school. My heart skipped a beat. I pulled out the flyer for the reunion. I was there a week early. About 50 emotions circled my head before landing on the inevitable... I am an idiot. ;-(
Went back to the hotel and drowned by already feeble mind at the bar. Flew home the next day in disgrace. It was quite a while before I would admit this to anybody but my closest friends. I missed the reunion.
The only positive spin I can put on things was that the reunion was at least a good motivator for a lifestyle change.
Go ahead... mock away.
-C
When I moved to Vegas things were good money wise, but everything else in my life was definitely on a down swing. Been let go for the first and only time. What made it worse is because I wasn't let go because of lack of ability or doing a bad job. I was let go because I was viewed as a threat. That is funny because I had no plans to stay long term if it wasn't going to work out. Either way, my confidence was shaken a bit. I was also about the heaviest I had ever been. Over 400lbs. Don't get me wrong; I was sexy, but my health was suspect.
Shortly after moooooving here and starting work I got an invitation to my 10 year high school reunion. Given how I was feeling about myself I did not plan on attending. About a month into my job I joined a gym. Figured that would fall flat like it always had. A few days after joining I caught a stomach virus that really knocked me on my a$$. After four or five days my brother finally dragged me to a doctor. The doctor really let me have it. To sum things up, he told me that with my current lifestyle I should have already had my mid-life crisis. Ouch.
After a few days of self pity I got a call from the gym to set up my free training session that I got with my membership. What the hell? I went. Hopped on the scale and with the help of my stomach bug I had lost about 15lbs in about as many days. I don't know what happened, but something in my head clicked and I decided to really give getting healthy a shot. Actually that isn't true. I figured I would fail, but I just started by taking things one day at a time. My friend Danny was doing the same thing as me but he had started several months before me. I also had the hots for my trainer which didn't hurt. Fortunately I did not find out she had a boyfriend until a while later. (At this point, mention of my trainer will be omitted... if you want to know why, then you will just have to send me an email.)
Time went on and weight kept dropping off at a super fast rate. I mailed in my acceptance of the invitation to the High School reunion. I had 6 months to keep things up. Things just kept going great. By reunion time I had lost 80lbs and was feeling/looking great. I even went out and bought a new suit for the occasion. Nothing else fit anymore.
My buddy Aaron was having a birthday party around the time of the reunion so I figured I would make a trip of it and just spend a little over a week there. As I looked for plane tickets things weren't cheap and I was having second thoughts about taking that much time off of work. I am a consultant after all. So I bought my ticket and was all kinds of ready to go.
Flew to GA and spent time catching up with old friends. Aaron's b-day party was a blast and a good time was had by all. The next day I got in my rental car and drove to Augusta. Checked into the hotel and took a nap. Showered... got dressed. Admired myself in the new suit. Headed off to the reunion. Directions were not great, but I got there. As I sat in the parking lot, I was watching people enter the establishment. They did not look my age or like anybody from high school. My heart skipped a beat. I pulled out the flyer for the reunion. I was there a week early. About 50 emotions circled my head before landing on the inevitable... I am an idiot. ;-(
Went back to the hotel and drowned by already feeble mind at the bar. Flew home the next day in disgrace. It was quite a while before I would admit this to anybody but my closest friends. I missed the reunion.
The only positive spin I can put on things was that the reunion was at least a good motivator for a lifestyle change.
Go ahead... mock away.
-C
Comments