How it begins...

I am watching Say Anything right now and the awkwardness of how the main characters' relationship starts feels very odd to me. I can't help but think that having been on the bench for about a year from dating it might be my perception rather than any oddity in the movie.

Regardless of if you are married, single, or just dating. Think about how you met and became involved in your last relationship. Was it scary? Was it love/lust at first site? Did you only barely notice your partner after they noticed you? Did you lock eyes and then make love in the elevator at work?

In the movie I am watching the main character asked out his lady friend via the phone and she didn't even know who he was until she pulled out the yearbook to find his picture. Before I stopped the flick for the evening, they had been on two dates and were in the process of scheduling the third via the phone again.

The unease in their interaction... the loss of what words to say makes my skin crawl. As I watch I am just stunned at the how hard it seems for them. My past experience is that when it clicks, it clicks. When it doesn't, you just get out and cut your losses early. Is that just me?

--C

Comments

Oob said…
Not just you at all. ;)