Time for bed

So it is time for me to go to bed since I am playing golf tomorrow... But I just read a post in a friend's blog and it got me thinking.

Got me thinking about how interaction with people is evolving in both good ways and bad. This site along with sites like mySpace seems to be taking the "work" out of having friends. I think it even started before that. For me at least, I have kept in tough with a lot of my friends via cell phone more than with othes things like this. I was even one of those old-skool guys who had a web site written by myself before there were sites that would do it for you. I even tried making a "blog" of sorts before "blogging" was even a term.

Unfortunately... as with many things that seemed like a good idea at the time I quickly lost interest and only update my site with anything other than pictures once in a while. Why? Was it because it was too much work? Nah... not really. I think it was because I got a little spooked writing about what was going on inside my head for others to read. When you are talking to someone, lets face it... we make mental decisions to decide what and what/not we are going to tell that person. Have the same conversation again with someone else, and you might say some things differently. Writing in something like this... you don't necessarily think about who your audience is other than yourself.

Basically, unless you are VERY carefull you end up letting people in a lot farther than on a one-on-one basis. It feels a lot more safe... doesn't it? You put it down on paper (you know what I mean), and worry about it not again. But is that good? What does it do with your ability to interact in person. Are you two diff personalities? Pretty laid back in person, but when you start writing, no holds barred. Yeah.. that is what happens. This is something traditional authors have known for years probably.

But is it good or bad? You can say what you want, but given the "safe" outlet, are you ever going to stretch in your personal relationships to let what you want/need to say out? Is the 'blog' becoming the pressure valve that prevents us from relieving the pressure in the real world an growing as a person? Or is it a way to learn how to express what you have in your head in a 'safe' place? Either way... still takes guts to say what is really on your mind, especially if you somebody is going to read it.

Problem is... people stay at home pouring their heart out on the computer instead of to other people. Now don't lecture me on how posting is letting other people in. It's not the same and you know it.

I don't know where this was supposed to go... but it isn't getting there. Got of track of what I wanted to say and now there is no going back to the original point. hmmm.... maybe I really didn't have one.

One last note... Yes I realize the irony of discussing this in a blog, but in my defense I would say this in person if anyone were awake around me to listen.

--C

Comments