Didn’t I just say I didn’t want to be a blogger? I hold to that, but if I want to write something from time to time I will. Don’t you judge me!
Been catching up with a few old friends over the past couple of weeks and like most people just out of their 20s it has gotten me thinking. At age 31 or whatever age you are at, are you where you thought you would be? Is that un-attained vision better or worse than where you are? Just about my entire life plan from ten years ago has gone out the window, but I have to say that I am pretty damn happy about most things. Most things…
By this age I pictured myself as a saxophone professor at some small college with a wife and 2.5 children. Not making a lot of money, but enough to get by. I have dated a few girls that came real close for a while to being ‘the one’, but nobody has crossed the finish line so to speak. Other than not having a family yet, I would rather be single than get trapped with the wrong person for years on end. That sound harsh? I don’t mean it to. Haven’t you known somebody that was married to the wrong person? Everybody has. All I am saying is that I haven’t met Mrs. Right… Just a couple Mrs. Right Nows.
My job being an IT software engineer, consultant, corp-to-corp contractor, or whatever name you choose for what I do is about as far from the liberal arts major I was that it is hard to believe both jobs could exist in the same world. Don’t get me wrong, I love music. I loved being a musician in college. But all the same, I love what I do now. I basically get to solve problems all day. I get to build stuff that still gets the occasional person to say ‘wow’. I can’t help it… it feels good. And it pays well also. When you get up every day and most days you look forward to going to work, you can count yourself among the lucky. I do. For the most part I like the people I work with, and what politics there are in the office are more amusing to me than stressful.
I think most of my friends are in similar situations. Some have had it harder… Few have had it easier, but as I run down the list of friends from ten years ago, they all seem to be making their way and making it well. For that, I consider myself lucky also.
So, where do I see myself in ten more years? Why guess? Just enjoy the road along the way. I will.
Been catching up with a few old friends over the past couple of weeks and like most people just out of their 20s it has gotten me thinking. At age 31 or whatever age you are at, are you where you thought you would be? Is that un-attained vision better or worse than where you are? Just about my entire life plan from ten years ago has gone out the window, but I have to say that I am pretty damn happy about most things. Most things…
By this age I pictured myself as a saxophone professor at some small college with a wife and 2.5 children. Not making a lot of money, but enough to get by. I have dated a few girls that came real close for a while to being ‘the one’, but nobody has crossed the finish line so to speak. Other than not having a family yet, I would rather be single than get trapped with the wrong person for years on end. That sound harsh? I don’t mean it to. Haven’t you known somebody that was married to the wrong person? Everybody has. All I am saying is that I haven’t met Mrs. Right… Just a couple Mrs. Right Nows.
My job being an IT software engineer, consultant, corp-to-corp contractor, or whatever name you choose for what I do is about as far from the liberal arts major I was that it is hard to believe both jobs could exist in the same world. Don’t get me wrong, I love music. I loved being a musician in college. But all the same, I love what I do now. I basically get to solve problems all day. I get to build stuff that still gets the occasional person to say ‘wow’. I can’t help it… it feels good. And it pays well also. When you get up every day and most days you look forward to going to work, you can count yourself among the lucky. I do. For the most part I like the people I work with, and what politics there are in the office are more amusing to me than stressful.
I think most of my friends are in similar situations. Some have had it harder… Few have had it easier, but as I run down the list of friends from ten years ago, they all seem to be making their way and making it well. For that, I consider myself lucky also.
So, where do I see myself in ten more years? Why guess? Just enjoy the road along the way. I will.
Comments